file Sweet spot?

• Clay Foody's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Clay Foody Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Remember rear-projection TVs? When the image would look dim and unbalanced until you sat down at the right angle directly in front of the TV? After auditioning the Triton 7s at a local dealer, that's the best metaphor I can come up with to describe the dispersion pattern of the HFVR tweeters in these speakers. I couldnt really experience them until i knealt down and sat at just the right angle. The dealer just went on about the Sandy Gross back story, which seems to mirror all the reviews I've read. but This like a major flaw that nobody seems to want to acknowledge.

Has anyone had a similar listening experiencephalitis with these speakers? I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt due to the room I heard the speakers in. The audiotiming room was very narrow with the glass storefront window on right side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Clay Foody,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you listening session didn't go all that smoothly. Did your local dealer have any other GET speakers available to demo? Something certainly seems amiss. I can offer a few points.

First, all speakers require proper positioning for high quality stereo imaging. GET speakers are no exception. To experience the best sound, sitting between the left and right speakers, with an equal distance to each is fairly critical. Sitting off axis in my experience messes with the imaging but the HVFR still sounds fantastic so it's hard to imagine this is a positioning issue.

Secondly, from the trouble shooting here, the tweeters seem to be one of the first components to go bad if the speakers are abused. It's possible that the T7s you were listening to had damaged tweeters. You can't always tell by looking at them either.

We have discussed dispersion here before and based on those discussions and my experience with the HVFR tweeter, I would say you should go back for another demo. Maybe listen to a pair of Aons or SuperSats. GET uses very similar drivers amongst their speakers. The HVFR should be nearly identical or sound nearly identical across the line. I absolutely love the HVFR tweeter and have never experienced what your describing in my setup and I have seats in my theater room that are in far less than ideal positions.

I hope you're able to get a good demo. Check back in if you have any questions or just to let us know how things go if you go back in for another listen. The HVFR should sound open, airy, detailed, and lack the fatiguing properties I often associate with metallic dome tweeters; however, everybody has different preferences and it's possible you may not like ribbon tweeters.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Clay:

All speakers have a sweet spot, the tritons are no exception. The Tritons can sound magical, but only after careful setup and tweaking. Don't be deceived into thinking the Tritons don't need careful placement, that they don't need tweaking, that they sound the same standing as sitting, and that it doesn't matter where you sit...it does matter.
Go back to the dealer and position the speakers and seating position to YOUR liking...then tell us what you think. Keep in mind too, that the dealers showroom will sound different than YOUR room.
The T7's, according to forum members here, are phenomenal sounding speakers, but they do require careful setup and placement.
The number 1 problem I've seen on this forum is problems with speaker placement. The second problem is individuals that simply don't know how to use/setup their electronics.

It has taken me quite some time to get my T2's exactly where I want them.
And I've told the wife, " If you touch my Triton's I'll kill you"...she respects that. ;)
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back