question-circle Audyssey and T1s

• secretguy's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 25
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
secretguy Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Hi all. I asked this at the Agon forum.

Anyone have experience using Audyssey Multi EQ with a system running Goldenear Triton 1s? They don't seem to play well together. It wants the subs turned WAY down before it will even run. Then, it somehow thinks they are small speakers. And while it gets the distance about right for the L and R mains, it thinks the subs are way farther away.
So...any thoughts? In fairness, it comes out sounding pretty ok. Except the subs will be way too low for music running straight.

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Secretguy,
You will have to tweak the results, probably a LOT.
Honestly, IMHO Audyssey is rubbish, should not be used. BUT somebody must like it.
Hope you get it sorted or turned off.
Have fun with it, but your ears are your best resource.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 5 years 8 months ago
I can only agree with Wayne’s statement. I have a 7.2 system with T2’s and two additional subs. Audyssey has never been able to figure it out, so I tried without the subs - still get strange results every time. Went back to the ”by-ear” method, and things are great (audyssey turned off).
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
My Marantz SR 7010 has Audyssey XT32. Same experience/results. I did a full factory re set, don't attempt to use Audyssey at all anymore.

It doesn't know how to handle powered Triton's built in subs, for sure, wants that SL turned way down when testing sub channels, doesn't/can't know that doing so on the Tritons also changes ALL bass balance including 2.0. I couldn't ever turn down the sub levels on the Triton's dials enough to satisfy it, gave up with the sub test portion of the EQ altogether.

How do other room systems like ARC and Dirac handle that??? Apparently better than Audyssey can. Lots of satisfied users of both on this forum.

It still puzzles me that I can read lots of positive reviews about Audyssey on other forums. Even read favorable comparisons to Dirac (I think it was a Home Theater test). Is it it's inability to deal with built in subs on speakers that stumps it most? Does it work better on, say, non powered tower/large speakers? Any satisfied users of Audyssey on this forum with T5 or 7 fronts/mains and free standing subs? (Rocco doesn't like it with his free standing sub set up).

Keep wondering myself what Dirac or ARC would do for my system....

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by WayneWilmeth. info_outline
Hey Rick,
I forgets, do you have, are you running any subwoofer along with your TRefs and TOnes? Not that you would need to!!!!
Are you having any problem with room nodes? Boominess from your surrounding bass?
The fact that you have 4 real subs around the room MUST surely even things out a LOT.
When you come over you can see what DIRAC does and doesn't do for me and my room. Course the user SHOULD be smarter than the program and I definitely AM NOT!!!!!
I should add that I take a "less is more" approach to most of these things.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Wayne

No free standing subs, "just" the Ref's and 1's with LFE connections. And you're right, it's all the bass I need!

I have played around a bit with distance settings in the receiver for the sub channels to "mimic" actually moving the subs around a bit, and can even out variations in bass levels within the room. Audyssey had wanted to set longer distances on the sub channels than the same distances for those same speakers as fronts and surrounds, maybe trying to do the same thing. No boominess when playing CD's or Blu-rays. Sometimes get less than perfect bass when streaming MP3 type music and that appears to be issues with the particular recording only. No issues streaming 16 bit FLAC stuff.

I can also fine tune gain settings for front subs vs surround subs.

Yes, I really want to hear your system with and without Dirac room correction to get a sense of what a good room correction program can do!! Heck, I just plain would love to hear your system in any case!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back