file Need help chosing surrounds

• Homeroa's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Homeroa Posted 8 years 3 months ago
I did not know that,

I'm buying these in Korea right now, they've got one set of Two's in stock.

How would I identify the newer Triton Twos?

Also, I can guess why I'd want greater bass extension in the rear surrounds, but I keep reading about setting the crossover on the center to allow Triton powered towers to run a phantom center bass. What would be the listening benefit of getting a center w more base extension?

And finally, is time alignment in a multiple speaker setup an issue I should be concerned with? Will room correction compensate for it?

Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
I don't think the 2+ and 3+ are out yet. They were just announced at the Consumer Electronics Show.

Regarding time alignment, I think your dealer is just confused. Time alignment is WITHIN a speaker. A speaker is either time aligned or not. This is managed via the physical design of the speaker (driver layout and placement) and or within the crossover. A multi-driver speaker that is not time aligned will have slight phase differences (that's why GEt uses the term "phase perfect" for some of their speakers) between the drivers unless the drivers are physically aligned which means the tweeter will be back (usually on a slanted baffle) farther than the woofer so the voice coils are aligned.

Two speakers aren't "time aligned" with each other. Your A/V receiver will handle the channel delays to make sure that each speaker has the correct delay given the distance to the listening position but calling this time aligned is misleading and is co-opting a term that really means something else.

Again, someone can jump in here and correct me but I believe the Triton 1, Triton 2+, Triton 3+, Triton 5 and SCXXL are all time aligned via the crossover. I don't think the other speakers are. That's not deal breaker for surrounds and regardless, if I'm correct, neither Aon is time aligned so your dealer's argument makes no sense.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_time_alignment
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago
+1 on the SuperCenter here. I'm not a big go of the way my Integrate receiver manages sound and don't like the phantom center. It creates very bloated sounding vocals. I have my SCXL set up with a 70 Hz crossover and everything sounds great. I guess in general, I prefer less processing of sound. Running each channel as full range as possible is my listening preference.

If space is an issue, I wouldn't worry about running the 50C, I'm sure it will sound great. We'd really be splitting hairs here on time alignment. I'd be surprised if you could hear the difference between the two in regards to that factor. Now frequency handling is another story. Have you auditioned your options first hand?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 8 years 3 months ago
All correct, dealer was confused (or your interpretation of what he said was confused). In terms of drivers, the 50C and 60C are actually the matching drivers to the Triton Twos and Threes (yes, all the GoldenEar speakers use the same tweeter). SuperSats are great for center speakers in a powered Triton Tower based home theater because of exactly what you said, directing the center channel bass to the pair of powered subs in the towers. Works great and allows for a much smaller/lower profile center speaker, which many people need and/or want. The SuperCenters are more full range and were actually introduced to go with the Aons and non-powered Triton towers (the Five and Seven), as well as with the larger Triton One for big room systems. Properly setup, all work great together in any combination.

Surround speaker topic (Aon vs. Triton vs. SuperSat) has been beat to death elsewhere on the forum so I will leave it as discussed in other threads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Hi Homeroa,
That will be a really great system you are putting together.
I agree with others that mentioned the SuperCenters, I only have the X because of space limitations, but it is still great and even cheaper.
Consider me one more that suggests the Aons for the rear surrounds.
Your receiver is where you will set the distances and time alignment, you don't need to worry about any of that.
Have fun getting the system set up,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Homeroa's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
Homeroa Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Thanks to everyone for the great input.

It looks like the final system will be

Triton Two's
SuperSat50C (for space)
Aon2's

I'm just waiting to try to get a listen to the full system, and should be purchasing later in the week.

Cheer all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Need help chosing surrounds