file Need help chosing surrounds

• Homeroa's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Homeroa Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Hi There,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Home Theater system.

I've decided on Triton Twos and a SuperSat50C up front,

for the rear, my budget is open to SuperSat 3's or AON 2's

I will likely use the system equally for music, movies and games in a smaller room 15x15.

I haven't yet decided on an amp / receiver / etc.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 3 months ago
I made the choice to go with Aon 2 surrounds due to their deeper bass extension. I heard an all supersat / forcefield sub at my dealer and didn't care for it. I've always made the caveat that its possible that system wasn't set up correctly / ideally e.g. maybe the speakers were crossed over too low for their capabilities etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Homeroa

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago
I agree on the Aons. Your best bet would be to audition both and choose the one that sounds better. My money is on the Aon though I'm sure both will sound great.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Homeroa

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 8 years 3 months ago
+1 for the Aon 2's. You can't beat physics. The larger enclosure lets you crossover the speaker much lower than the SuperSats which sounds much better.

If space isn't a concern, I'd always recommend the Aon 2's over the SuperSats.

Of course, this assumes you can set them up properly. What I specifically mean by that is your couch isn't pressed up against the back wall. If it is, the Aons will be much harder to position properly in which case the small SuperSats may allow for greater placement flexibility.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Homeroa

• Homeroa's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
Homeroa Posted 8 years 3 months ago
I'm more or less decided on Triton Two's, a SuperSat50C and Aon2's.

When I spoke to the dealer though, his recommendation was a SuperCenter XL and Aon3's.

His reasoning was that the because the dirvers in the 50C and the AON2s were different sizes from the Triton Twos I would experience Time Alignment issues.

I only vaguely understand time alignment, and know that the Triton Twos internally correct, but for a multiple speaker set up wouldn't where I place the speakers have a greater effect on time alignment than the size of the drivers?

I'm confused.

Any thoughts?

Also, I'm looking for a good pair of stands for the Aon 2's (or 3's)

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by imahawki. info_outline

Homeroa wrote: I'm more or less decided on Triton Two's, a SuperSat50C and Aon2's.

When I spoke to the dealer though, his recommendation was a SuperCenter XL and Aon3's.

His reasoning was that the because the dirvers in the 50C and the AON2s were different sizes from the Triton Twos I would experience Time Alignment issues.

I only vaguely understand time alignment, and know that the Triton Twos internally correct, but for a multiple speaker set up wouldn't where I place the speakers have a greater effect on time alignment than the size of the drivers?

I'm confused.

Any thoughts?

Also, I'm looking for a good pair of stands for the Aon 2's (or 3's)

Thanks!

The SC speakers are in my opinion better center speakers than 50C. They have better bass extension and probably higher output capabilities to some extent. Get the biggest one you can afford and will fit. I decided to go with the SCXXL over the SCXL and it was a huge upgrade.

The rest of what he told you is confusing.

The Aon 3 doesn't have the same size drivers as the Triton 2 either. Unless Moderator jumps in and corrects me I believe both Aons have the exact same tweeter and neither one has the same woofer size as the Triton 2.

I am using Aon 2s with Triton 1s and it is the most coherent surround system I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot. (Paradigm, Mirage, Phase Technology, Gallo Acoustics, Klipsch, etc.)

Ideally get Triton 2, SCXXL, and Aon 2 surrounds. If that's out of your budget fall back to to the SCXL.

Also are you aware that the Triton 2 and 3 just got upgraded? They cost a bit more but the new versions incorporate some of the technology from the Triton 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Need help chosing surrounds