file New Triton 2 setup - advice on surrounds please!

• Phmcloughlin2003's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Phmcloughlin2003 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
I am moving into a new house with a dedicated movie room which measures 12x16x10

I auditioned Triton 2s and decided to use these as my base with my Emotiva XPA2 and Marantz 7702. I also have an XPA 5 which I will be using for center, sides and rears. Phase 2 will be another XPA5 for ceiling speakers.

I have read the threads on using T7s for surround but I don't think I really have the space for these..................so my question is what recommendations do you have given the space constraints?

Thanks for your help!

Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Welcome Peter and enjoy the new home and a home theater!!!!! Well done!!!!
Your new home theater is small, mine too.
I have Triton 2s in the front and Triton 3s as surrounds, and Triton 7s as rear surrounds. Yes, we are crowded but not too badly.
Intimate is what I call it. ha ha
Just don't have the backs of your sofa or chairs too high (mine are too high), and the towers will work great.
Others will recommend smaller speakers for surround, and that might make sense, but I REALLY like the towers.
Whatever you do, have fun with it, and enjoy the music and movies. You have an opportunity that most would kill for!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Welcome Peter and enjoy the new home and a home theater!!!!! Well done!!!!
Your new home theater is small, mine too.
I have Triton 2s in the front and Triton 3s as surrounds, and Triton 7s as rear surrounds. Yes, we are crowded but not too badly.
Intimate is what I call it. ha ha
Just don't have the backs of your sofa or chairs too high (mine are too high), and the towers will work great.
Others will recommend smaller speakers for surround, and that might make sense, but I REALLY like the towers.
Whatever you do, have fun with it, and enjoy the music and movies. You have an opportunity that most would kill for!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne

• Phmcloughlin2003's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
Phmcloughlin2003 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi Wayne. Thanks for sharing your system and suggestions. Interesting comment about the sofa height as I have two sofas with one on a 7" riser. What are your own room dimensions and equipment?
Thanks again
Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Peter, good question. My home theater is approx. 14' X 16.5', so not large. I have pics of it and my equipment posted on this forum on top of page 5 "Home theater coming soon" under Music, Home Theater, Gaming
Since that posting I replaced the Mirage center with the SC X center. So it is GEt all around and sounds wonderful!!!!
My surrounds are too close, but that wiring was put into the floor before the concrete was poured, and cannot be easily moved now. My sofa backs are a little high when it comes to measuring sounds for room correction. I have ordered the Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac room correction. I am hoping this will smooth out he bass a bit and help me fully integrate all the woofers and subwoofer going on here. But I may have trouble with the measurements where the sofa and back of the recliner are partially blocking some sound. You having a second sofa on a riser will make that even trickier. However, when we are engrossed in a movie or concert nobody has even complained about the sound, it is GREAT!!!!
I hope this helps, all the best, enjoy what will be a wonderful system!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hate to dredge up such an old thread, but I recently upgraded to a similar setup. Was using T7's as front L/R with SS50's as surrounds, and SS3's as rears. When I upgraded the fronts to T2's - I thought to just sell the T7's. However, I did a brief a/b with the T7's/SS50's as surrounds and the result was more dramatic than I expected. The sound was much more evenly balanced and cohesive with the T7's. Bass even and non-localized. With the SS50's, I could really detect a wall of sound coming from the front T2's -- whereas with the T7's in the mix, the sound was enveloping and well, balanced.

Color me surprised.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, lamia1, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema New Triton 2 setup - advice on surrounds please!