file Should I connect the Triton tower (Reference in my case) to a surge protector?

• odedia's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
odedia Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Or is it better to connect it directly to the wall outlet?
Any downsizes to each of the approaches in terms of audio?
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Hi odedia, I would recommend connecting your Triton References to a quality surge protector / line conditioner. The AudioQuest PowerQuest 2 or PowerQuest 3 would be a great choice. These line conditioners will protect your equipment against power surges, and they'll reduce the noise level in the AC power supplied to these towers. I would expect you to hear an improvement in the clarity of bass produced by these towers as well. Happy Listening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: odedia

Thank you very much, this is very helpful. I see many compare the PowerQuest 2/3 to the Niagra 1200 which is much more expensive. Is that even required for the Triton Reference? I guess the PowerQuest filters "ugly" noise while the 1200 does reconditioning, but then again, I would assume that the amount of power both speakers will be able to pull from the 1200 will be more limited.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

Or is it better to connect it directly to the wall outlet?
Any downsizes to each of the approaches in terms of audio?
Thanks.

Hi odedia.

Well, I never have, nor will l now, state/write anything contradictory to the moderator.

Having stated that, you do have options as far as line conditioning and/or surge protection.

Of course, one option is do nothing and plug directly into the wall. Usually, that option is what hard core class A amp audiophiles advocate for. I personally do not.

Back to the TRefs (which are class D amps). In my experience, connecting to a conditioner and surge protector is beneficial. Of course, you want to buy something of quality, and AudioQuest will certainly provide you with that.

I use a combination of Emotiva and Panamax (visit my website for specifics of models and connectivity). The Panamax is killer. I personally saw on an oscilloscope how it affects line noise, for the better. And, a fellow from my local electric company here in Freeport, which has among the best electrical facility in the United States, has visited my apartment at a time where there was a crash into a Street lamp a block away from my place causing brownouts in the entire area. He couldn't believe how accurate the voltage readout was (fluctuating) on my unit compared to the readings in his central office that he was in communication with.

Panamax has surge protection. That's never been tested, fortunately. Once it is tested (i.e actually put to use) the unit is no longer good, and I think that holds true for any unit that employees surge protection.

There's another theory behind surge protection that electrical engineers will tell you and confirm that what I'm saying is the absolute truth. Namely, if there's a lightning strike close enough to your locale, there's no surge protection device on the planet that can stop the potential for arching of voltage between wherever the lightning hits and your equipment (if within close enough proximity), even if your equipment is unplugged!

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Thanks!
Nice setup by the way, saw the youtube video :).
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDHAL

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Hi odedia.

Note this relatively recent NYTimes article. Of course, there are scores of articles on surge protection).

www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-surge-protector/

Note NYT top pick, Furman. In a sense, big deal that this is their top pick. Plenty of outstanding SPs from which to choose. Furman owns Panamax.

Article also supports what I've reported. Any surge protector acts as the proverbial sacrificial lamb and must be replaced after an event.

Best

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Should I connect the Triton tower (Reference in my case) to a surge protector?