file Triton Reference Rumble Noise

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 3 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by charliehatch. Reason: Clarification info_outline
anthem,

I say again: I pulled the power plug out of the TRef, and the noise was still there. It can't possibly be coming through the power line from the P20, or from anything else through the power cord.
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
All,

After a couple of days of careful listening, I have heard no rumble noise from either speaker. So it looks like swapping the speakers cured the problem.

There seems little doubt the intermittent rumble was caused by wifi interference. When I swapped the speakers, I expected the noise to either stay with the same speaker (what was right was now left), or it would show up in the new right speaker (what was left was now right). Instead, neither happened. They both are now noise free, at least for the moment.

What is going on here? I see two possibilities. First, that the originally right speaker was more susceptible to wifi noise, either due to subtle differences in circuitry, or perhaps because of component drift that let more noise through. Moving it to a different location helped.

A second possiblity is that when I swapped the speakers, they didn't end up in exactly the same places. The wifi system is operating in two bands, 2.5 and 5 GHz. The wavelength for the 5 GHz band is only 6 cm. (2.4 in). So if the wifi environment forms standing waves in the listening room because of internal reflections, there might be only 3 cm distance between a node (minimum) and an antinode (maximum). It is possible that the original right speaker was positioned so that a vulnerable part of the internal circuit was on a maximum, producing the noise. Then when I moved the left speaker to that position, it may have ended up in a slightly different position, maybe on a minimum. So, noise problem solved. This is just a theory, but if true, then noise problems like this might be solved by repositioning the speaker only a short distance.

Whatever the truth is, at least the problem appears to be solved for now.

As I said elsewhere on this forum, GET should work on how to eliminate wifi noise from getting into the subwoofer amps of their speakers. Filtering? Shielding? There must be a way to do this. As more and more wireless devices are used in homes, this is going to become a bigger problem.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 9 months ago
Thanks for the update Charlie!

WiFi interference with the T Ref amp makes some sense, since the problem persisted after unplugging the speaker from the power source until the amp capacitors drained down.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I forgot to thank anthem for suggesting that I swap the speakers. Thank you, anthem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 3 years 9 months ago
Charlie:
Just think, A simple suggestion of swapping speakers has solved your problem. Besides fixing the issue, you also got a Great workout moving speakers around.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 3 years 9 months ago
I have wifi gear (router and cable modem) in close proximity to my speakers and have never heard any "rumble noise" caused by the wifi.

My wifi runs at 2.4 only and is approximately 2 feet from one speaker and 6 feet from the other.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Reference Rumble Noise