file Sat 50 and Sat 3 Tweeter Setup

• Ronc's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Ronc Posted 12 years 9 months ago
I have ordered the Triton Two's and surround sound setup. I'm curious as to why the Sat 50 and Sat 3 do not have a tweeter driver setup that will rotate 90 degrees so that they can be mounted either horizontally or vertically. This would give the buyer flexibility to mount the speaker any way they want to if they move and desire a different speaker setup or simply decide to place the speaker in a new location. This would be especially nice when upgrading from a flat panel to a front projection perforated screen.

Right now you have to purchase the Sat 50 or 50c or the Sat 3 or 3c based on how you intend to mount the speaker. Surely a tweeter that will rotate on its mount is technically feasible and would be far cheaper that running multiple production lines for both speakers. The engineering problems and maintaining the same sonic properties may be insurmountable but from a lay persons view it would seem like a decent idea.

Kudo's to Century Stereo, Saratoga, Ca., for representing your product line so well. They were exceptional in every way from demonstration to final sale. Special thanks to Doug Peterson - Outstanding. I am excited about the prospect of hearing these speakers in my home. I am one day into my 8th week waiting on this order. I was warned that it may take up to 5 weeks but I have never waited on any product order this long. As an audio enthusiast for the past 40 years I have been waiting on a product like this for a very long time (both literally and figuratively).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 12 years 9 months ago
Thanks so much for your kind comments and your patience. I expect Century will have your speakers later this week as we are finally about to put the long backorder time behind us with our latest large production runs.

Regarding the center speakers, I agree completely, however science is not on our side. The change in interaction between the tweeter and midrange drivers in the horizontal configuration requires a different crossover/driver design to obtain the fidelity we desire. This is true for EVERY center speaker from any brand. If the horizontal center is identical to the vertical L/R speakers then you can be sure the center will not sound like the L/R speakers. On a lighter note, we also wanted the grille logo to be in the correct place without adding the cost of a magnetic logo that could be repositioned.

We are fanatics when it comes to performance, the extra models are a logistic and costly result of this desire to not compromise. Hope this helps - thanks so much for your purchase! It will be worth the wait!

• Ronc's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
Ronc Posted 12 years 9 months ago
Thank you for the clarification. A friend was considering a modest system setup that included a vertically aligned center speaker behind his front projection screen. The consideration is for 3 Sat 50's as L/R/C. This setup brought up the question of a pivoting tweeter mount. If I understand you correctly, a vertically aligned Sat 50 would have a different crossover/driver design than it's horizontal 50C counterpart. I learned something new.

Your prompt reply, on an early Sunday morning no less, is nothing short of impressive. Goldenear may not only be setting a new standard for cost/performance speaker design but also for customer service as well.

This kind of reminds me of Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) to Captain Louis Renault (Claude Rains) in Casablanca. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 12 years 9 months ago
Thanks for the kind comments - and the good Monday morning laugh. Nothing like a great movie quote for home theater guys like us!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperCinema Systems Sat 50 and Sat 3 Tweeter Setup