file Triton 7 for surrounds overkill? Need advice from members and Moderator

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steveo Posted 1 year 2 months ago
Ok guys. A slightly long thread. Its coming to the end of my upgrading my HT and I am almost finished.

At the moment I am running

T refs for L and R
Supercenter ref for center
Super sat 3s for surrounds
2x JTr 2400 for LFE in the back next to the supersat 3s

Obviously the super sat 3s are the weak link in surrounds (comparatively) and its only a 5 channel at the moment

I was considering buying a new pair of speakers to replace the super sat 3 for surrounds and designate the sat 3s for rear back speakers

Now initially I was considering just another pair of Super sat 3s

Or I could go the 50s

Or I could go overkill and consider the triton 7.

By the time I pay for super sat 3s and the pricey stands, I can get the T7s on sale here for not much more ( a few hundred) at the moment but this is a limited time deal and is pretty cheap

or should I be looking at the BRX as the tweeter matches the t refs and super center more?

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions on which way to go?

Triton 7s seem to hit the mark as I am getting a much better speaker than the super sat 3s for not much more than the 3s with stands with a similar foot print

The BRX is more expensive and doesn't seem to have a stand either and if it did it would be way more expensive

I always thought that not much sound goes to the back channels so it wont matter as much whether it is 3s or t7s or even T1s ( I don't need any more subs so I am not looking at the t3s 2s 1s or refs for surround duty as I have plenty of sub in that space as it is as I have 2x JTR 2400 18 inches doing duties for that and they are currently right next to the sub 3s where the new ones will go. Having subs at the back in a tower would be overkill so its either

Super sat 3, 50 BRX or T7s (maybe t5s but again too much for surrounds and not on sale)

Does anyone here run the t7s in surrounds? How much more of a jump would a 7 channel set up be over a 5 channel with just the super sat 3s in surround duty?

Any insight here would be amazing. Would love to hear from the moderator as well as they always have good insights and advice here
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 2 months ago
Hi Steveo, I would be inclined to use a pair of Triton 7s as your surrounds and make your SuperSat 3s the rear surrounds in your system. The Triton 7s would be a terrific choice as your surround speakers. They're tonally matched to the rest of the speakers in your system. They're full range towers that produce a large soundstage. They'd also be a nice step up from using a second pair of SuperSats as your surrounds. I would not consider the Triton 7s as overkill when used as your surround speakers. Upgrading to a 7 channel surround system would also provide a greater sense of being "in the movie" or "all around sensation". Happy Listening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steveo

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 1 year 2 months ago
What crossover would you cross them at?

Set to small or large? I assume small
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 1 month ago
Hi Steveo, I would be inclined to set the SuperSat 3s and Triton 7s to small. I'd use an 80hz crossover for the Triton 7s, and a 120hz crossover for the SuperSat 3s. Ultimately, the Triton 7s could set to to large, however, I'd rather redirect these lower bass frequencies to the subwoofer. Happy Listening!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Triton 7 for surrounds overkill? Need advice from members and Moderator