• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steveo Posted 1 year 6 months ago
Hi all

I am running triton references and am considering getting another sub

People with think I am mad because the subs on the triton are pretty good already.

I believe I heard that the triton references have subs equivalent to the super sub xl.

First question. Would the 12inch xxl be a worthy upgrade to stock triton references in terms of sub output?

I don't care about music and this will only be used for movies and I was considering JTR rs1 subs but shipping and taxes to Australia make it cost prohibitive compared to rrp xxl

Second question. Should goldenear make a dual 15 inch "super sub Reference" or is something like that coming? (hopefully)
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 1 year 6 months ago
Hi, Steveo

No, I don't think you're mad at all for thinking about adding a SuperSub XXL! I did exactly that with my setup which already had Triton Ref fronts and T1 surrounds, all LFE connected. I too wondered how much of a bass kick I would get. Answer, A LOT. Not sure where you would be able to or want to place the sub, but adding it in back to bolster the surrounds would be a good fit I think.

As to a SuperSub Ref someday, I'd love to see that also. Not sure what driver size would be best, but larger than the 12" drivers in the XXL hopefully, and utilizing all the Ref level speaker upgrades including focused field magnet structure etc.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 6 months ago

People with think I am mad because the subs on the triton are pretty good already.

I think you're "mad" because the subs on the Triton [Reference] are *phenomenal* already. B)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 1 year 2 months ago
Bit of an update for a zombie thread. I ended up coming across a second-hand pair of JTR 2400 18inch capacitors for about half the price of one new super sub-XXL here in Australia, so I would have been mad not to take it up considering the rrp and the fact we have to pay insane shipping to import the JTRs to Australia

www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-captivator-2400

In short, having separate subs of this calibre is quite amazing. It’s not only what you can hear but what you can feel as these subs in particular, punch really low.

Don’t get me wrong, the Trefs subs are excellent for music and great for movies but there is another level with having more subs to complement it for movies. I don’t use the JTR subs for music because it doesn’t need them, and the T ref is perfect as is for that

Having 4 subs in each corner is also really good for balancing out the LFE

It would be cool if Goldenear can make a Super sub ref with 2 18 inch subs in the same layout as their xxl variants. The box would be hue but it would sound amazing

Anyway just wanted to report my findings
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Need for a super sub "reference"?