file Cross-firing Tritons

• nate451's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 20
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
nate451 Posted 1 year 10 months ago
Was watching Audioholics this evening and they were talking about cross-firing speakers for maximizing the sweetspot.

Have you all tried it with Tritons in the fronts?
2-channel or as home theater?

Is it viable?

At about the 14min mark the discussion starts.

Main: 7.2.4
Triton One.R's
SuperCenter Reference
Invisa 650's
SuperSat3"s
SuperSat3c's
Anthem MRX 1140

Easy listening
Triton 2Plus's
NAD M10V2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 10 months ago
I've tried it, and don't like it at all. Sandy's setup tips are spot on, at least in my case.

I haven't watched the video you posted, but understand the concept. Succinctly, left speaker pointing at right ear, right speaker pointing at left.

No reason to do this unless you have no choice due to poor seating (with respect to speaker placement). The music axis becomes in front of the listener as opposed to *directly* behind the listener, in an optimized situation.

Of course, like most things in life, there is a degree of subjectivity involved. So, if you try cross firing and prefer it to non cross firing, then "who's to say"? Ultimately you need to setup/position your speakers in such a way that it makes most sense (sounds best) to *you*.

The afformentioned stated, I know from my personal experience that folks with hi-end systems do not configure the speakers in such an arrangement, not do concert halls.

BUT...I do suspect there are use cases where cross firing could be sonically advantageous, or at least preferred.

If you have the luxury of trying both cross firing and non cross firing configurations (which I do/have), try both and settle on what you prefer.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, nate451

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
GDHAL Posted 1 year 10 months ago
I'd like to add to my previous post to state that what I've indicated assumes a two channel *stereo* environment.

If you're listening only to mono recordings and/or have multi-channel (many speakers firing) going on, conceivably results could be different from two channel stereo.

In my two channel stereo setup, I've listened to plenty of mono recordings and they too sound terrific with a non cross firing speaker arrangement. I've never had any experience with multi channel though.

Lastly, just making another point here, which is that if you look at very large concert venues (and I understand large concert venues are not considered near field or should be compared to a home environment), but consider outdoor concerts at Glastonbury. You'll note that the overwhelming majority of concert goers are *inside* the left-right axis point of the speakers. Only the very few and very distant from stage concert goers are *outside* the left-right axis point of the speakers and, therefore, in the cross firing zone.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
The following user(s) said Thank You: nate451

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 1 year 10 months ago
As GDHAL says, whatever works for you. Nothing beats some experimenting.

I suspect most of us have tried various speaker angles. I started out with left speaker aimed at left ear, right at right, gradually aimed them a couple feet in back of the listening position, I.E. out just a little more. It seemed to add some depth to the sound stage. Probably room first reflections and how well they're damped/diffused plays a role also.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDHAL, nate451

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
GDHAL Posted 1 year 9 months ago
You know, out of curiosity I did take a look/listen to video at the 14 min mark where the group (3) speak about this. Seems to me the point is raised in cases where you *want* there to be more than one sweet spot (PLP and/or PVP). Not typical, if you ask me. No doubt in my mind that there can only be *one* true PLP/PVP. True being the operative word.

• nate451's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 20
nate451 Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Yeah the thing is my space is mixed use and, while unconventional, I'd like others to be able to sit with me and enjoy some listening; not going totally solo.

Thanks guys!
Main: 7.2.4
Triton One.R's
SuperCenter Reference
Invisa 650's
SuperSat3"s
SuperSat3c's
Anthem MRX 1140

Easy listening
Triton 2Plus's
NAD M10V2

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back