file Triton Two bass weirdness (This thread is cross-posted in the Triton forum)

• HighPercentile's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
HighPercentile Posted 4 months 5 days ago
Hi all, long story short—this is about my original Triton Two’s purchased in 2015 which are running off of a Marantz SR-7010—there are many other speakers in the system but they don’t apply here. The Right Triton Two’s amp was replaced about 2 years ago and an amp was also replaced in 2016 although I don’t recall which of the Two’s that issue was for. Also, the Marantz is set to LFE ON, speakers Large, crossover is about 120Hz in the amp settings.

Anyway, after swapping my center SuperCenter X this past weekend for a SuperSat 60c, I realized that I had been getting very little bass from the R Two. Swapped wires/terminals/etc. and what I discovered is that the R’s sub will turn on with ONLY the RCA wire’s central tip inserted; any more and it goes out again if the RCA outer sleeve portion touches the jack on the speaker. LED’s are all acting normally and lit up throughout on both speakers.

I’ll state that again; my Right Two’s sub only works if just the central post of its LFE RCA cable is inserted; if the outer sleeve touches, the bass goes out again. It’s barely hanging on by friction and heavy bass may well dislodge it. I’ve run all types of frequency sweeps and the phasing seems to be correct.

And then weirdness #2: during all this testing and swapping wires, the LEFT Two seemed to be chugging along happily. However if I switch the amp to No Sub/No LFE/Large full-range, that speaker loses it’s bass if I unplug the LFE RCA wire from it and that shouldn’t happen since I’m running the speaker at full-range. So now I’m stuck not knowing if it’s an amp issue, dual speaker issues, or a mix of both.

Any ideas?? This really sucks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 4 months 5 days ago
Hi HighPercentile, It sounds like there are issues with the amplifiers built-into both of these Triton Two towers. The built-in subwoofer amplifiers should work properly when the towers are connected with regular speaker wires (and your receiver/processor is set to large or full-band speakers). They really should work when the LFE cable is properly connected as well. I would recommend contacting GoldenEar's customer service department (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 1-949-800-1805 M-F 9-5:30 Eastern Time). I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Triton Two bass weirdness (This thread is cross-posted in the Triton forum)