file Home theatre room dimensions

• praljak's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
praljak Posted 2 years 2 months ago
Hi all,

I have a dilemma with my new house build......

I have a dedicated theatre room in my new house being built this year. It is 4 metres x 5 metres. I was initially going to have the 120 inch screen on the on the 4 metre wall. My wife now wants the screen on the 5 metre wall and I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit all the equipment in.

I have UST with 120 inch screen, Triton 1 mains, Triton 2 rears, MPX rear surrounds, 2 x FV18 subs and 4 x HTR7000 in ceiling Atmos speakers.

I'm not sure I can get the atmos speakers in the right positions taking into consideration the distance I'll need to be from the screen.

As usual, any help is appreciated.
AWOL LTV 3500 UST
Triton 1 Mains
Triton 2 surrounds
Supercentre Reference
HTR 7000 Atmos
MPX rear surrounds
Rythmic FV18 x 2
Panasonic UB9000 and Zidoo UHD 3000
Rotel RMB 1585
Anthem AVM 70

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 2 years 2 months ago
Personally I think you want to have another conversation with your wife. Assuming you're putting your front speakers to the left and right of the television , which would make sense, if you go along the four meter wall and put a screen as large as 120 inches, you're only going to basically be left with three feet or so. So your front speakers are going to be relatively close to the wall. Still, I think from an audio perspective you should be firing the speaker's lengthwise which means putting the speakers along the 4 m wall and having them fire down the length of the room which is 5 m . That's likely to sound better than if you did it the other way around.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: praljak

• praljak's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
praljak Posted 2 years 2 months ago
I'd tend to agree with you. I'll do my best to convince her. Being practical, we'll struggle to fit 4 cinema recliners across the 4 metre room and allow for the Triton 2's to be placed next to them. I should have made the room bigger at planning stage.....
AWOL LTV 3500 UST
Triton 1 Mains
Triton 2 surrounds
Supercentre Reference
HTR 7000 Atmos
MPX rear surrounds
Rythmic FV18 x 2
Panasonic UB9000 and Zidoo UHD 3000
Rotel RMB 1585
Anthem AVM 70

• Corey's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 5
Corey Posted 2 years 1 month ago
I agree with GDHAL and praljak. The best configuration is with the screen on the 4 meter wall. I have my Triton Refs against the side walls and angled towards the PLP, and I don't have any problems (my side walls are about 10.5 feet from each other, so I don't have any choice).

There are two issues with putting the screen on the 5 meter wall: one audio and one visual. The HTR7000 points its driver at a 30 degree angle and therefore should be placed at least three feet (and I believe that at least four feet is preferable, if I recall correctly) behind the PLP (this is based on the comments posted in this forum). If the screen is on the 5 meter wall, then there is only 4 meters from the screen to the back wall. In addition, are you going to be using the full 120" screen when you watch the movies? You are going to want to be a minimum distance from your screen (depending on whether you're watching 4K or 1080p). That also have to be taken into account.

This is just my perspective.

Corey
Spkr (GoldenEar): (L/R) Triton Reference; (C) SuperCenter Reference; (LS/RS) SuperSat 50;
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040; Amp: (LCR): Parasound Halo A31; Blu-Ray (4K): Oppo UDP-203;
TV: Sony xbr75z9d; Sony xbr65z9d RCA Interconnects: BetterCables Silver Serpent

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Home theatre room dimensions