question-circle Triton Reference Vs Triton 1.R

• Samwise's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Samwise Posted 7 months 2 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Samwise. info_outline
I currently have 4 Triton Ones, a Supercenter XXL, and 4 HTR 7000s in what I call a 5.4.4 setup and I have always planned on upgrading to Triton References and a Supercenter Reference for LCR and moving my front Triton Ones back for a 7.6.4 setup. At some point I would like to add a massive sub such as a JTR Captivator RS2 or 4000 ULF directly behind my front row of seats in a nearfield setup. My room is approximately 19 feet long by 15-17 feet wide (not a perfect rectangle) and 8 foot ceilings with two rows of 3 chairs. I was really close to buying a used set of T Refs before a seller backed out on me (twice) in the past two years. Now the price has only gone up and I'm wondering if it is worth the added cost to go to the T Refs or should I just buy the Triton 1.Rs especially considering I am planning on buying an extra sub anyway. What do people think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Samwise's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
Samwise Posted 7 months 1 week ago
Does anybody have experience going from the 1.Rs to the References? What was your experience? Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't have either in stock so I can't compare them. I'm wondering if the main difference is bass extension and if so then would I be accomplishing that by adding an external sub to my system? Any advice?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 months 1 week ago
Hi Samwise, First, the Triton One.Rs would represent a nice refinement (and noticeable improvement) over the original Triton Ones. The Triton One.Rs use improved midrange drivers as well as the reference quality folded ribbon tweeter and improved crossover design. Most listeners would say this improvement would be a worthwhile upgrade. Next, the Triton Reference "kicks it up a notch" from the Triton One.Rs. The References produce a larger soundstage as well as a fuller, richer midrange reproduction. The Triton Reference is truly the flagship model in GoldenEar's tower lineup. It's a judgement call, but at this level, I'd say the Triton References would be a worthwhile upgrade (over the original Triton Ones and Triton One.Rs.) Happy Listening!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton Reference Vs Triton 1.R