file Question re: new Sub(s) for renovated living room

• sethdemain's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
sethdemain Posted 1 year 7 months ago
Hi --

We love our GE system in our Den and are setting up a new space with all GE Atmos 5.?.4 setup. GE has helped us pick locations for the speakers but we have a conundrum with our subwoofer placement/selection. We have limited depth available such that fitting the smaller forcefield will be doable but tight and the SS X fits better on front wall near TV. Adding to our limited space situation, these sub(s) would not have much space -- esentially sitting in a open cubby on the floor but with a shelf maybe 1-2" above the speaker and 2" on either side.

So, my question is -- given that cubby setup -- would we be better off with two smaller forcefield subs or two SS X's? The SS X sounds like a better sub overall but i worry that it fires up and to the sides vs FF firing down and to the front. Any advice on which you would select or if it matters would be helpful.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 1 year 7 months ago
Hi sethdemain, Placing any subwoofer into an enclosed area (like you've described) will impart a certain about of "boominess" to the bass heard from the subwoofer. Ultimately, you'll be hearing the bass produced by the subwoofer along with the reflections from the solid surfaces near the subwoofer's cabinet. Even though the SuperSub X is a better sounding subwoofer than the ForceField subwoofers, I would expect you to hear more reflections (and a bit more "boominess") from the SuperSub X in this location or specific application.

Since the majority of the sound produced by the ForceField subwoofers is produced by the front firing woofer (which in your application would be unobstructed), I would expect the ForceField subwoofers to work better (and sound a bit cleaner) in this environment. If possible, I would consider using the new ForceField 30 or ForceField 40 subwoofers in your home theater system. Happy Listening!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Question re: new Sub(s) for renovated living room