file Atmos Setup Recommendation

• Demurrer's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Demurrer Posted 3 years 5 months ago
Newb here. I just stumbled upon this forum and I need some advice regarding which Atmos set up and which Invisa speakers would work best in my room. (I apologize if this stuff has been covered a million times but I don't have time to scour the site for old posts. The drywall guys are coming soon so I need to get speakers ordered pronto.)

So my room is basically a large L, with my TV on the wall at one end of the L. That half of the L is roughly 12 feet wide by 18 feet long. After 18 feet, the room opens up to the other half of the L. The back wall (i.e. the bend of the L) is a full 36 feet from the TV, past a pool table and bar.

Because the back wall is so far back, I think the easiest way to get rears and surrounds would be to go with all in-ceiling speakers, except for the mains and center (which will likely be the Reference).

I currently have Newform Research mains with ribbon tweeters, which I love sonically. My hope is that GE folded ribbon tweeters will match their timbre, or at least get close enough for the time being until I save up enough scratch for the Triton One.R , Triton Two+, or maybe even THree+ if you think it would be powerful enough for the room. (I know, I know, it probably won't work and I'll likely have to get new mains sooner rather than later. For that reason, I'd love to get recommendations on which mains to choose)

But because my room is currently under construction and because I want to wire the room before the drywall goes up, the more immediate concern is the in-ceiling speakers. Because the back wall is so far back, the most practical surrounds and rears seems to me to be in-ceiling. My initial thought would be to do a 7.1.4 system with with HTR 7000s for the rears and surrounds, plus 650s for the four height channels. Overkill for the room? Do you think 650s or MPX would be a better choice for the rears or surrounds? Do you think having in-ceiling rears and surrounds as well as height channels will work well, or spatially do I need the surrounds to be in wall (which may be possible much much harder to wire and install) to create a more immersive experience?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 3 years 5 months ago
Hi Demurrer, When selecting side and rear surround speakers, I would be inclined to use 4 x Invisa HTR7000s. The side surrounds would work well when mounted above the main listening position and directly to your sides. I would also consider using another pair of Invisa HTR7000s as your rear surrounds. Mounting both the side and rear surround in the ceiling should work well. You'll still hear a convincing surround effect with all four of these surround speakers mounted into the ceiling.

Considering all four of your "regular surrounds" would be mounted into the ceiling, I would be inclined to use only one pair of in-ceiling Atmos speakers - mounted between your main listening position and your front main speakers. In this case, the Invisa HTR7000s would be ideal. (As a second choice, the Invisa 650s would still work well as your "front Atmos speakers".) I wouldn't be inclined to use a second pair of Atmos speakers in your application.

Since the drywall has not been installed yet, I would, however, recommend running an extra pair of speaker wires behind the main listening position (in the ceiling). This way, if you want to add a second pair of Atmos speakers in the future, this would be an easy install.

The folded ribbon tweeters used in our center speakers and in-ceiling speakers would match well enough with your Newform Research main speakers.... As you upgrade your system, I'd recommend using the Triton One.Rs as your main speakers. (The Triton Two+s and Three+s are fine speakers, however, the Triton One.Rs take the performance to another level.) Happy Listening!

Demurrer Posted 3 years 5 months ago
Thank you for your quick response. Your recommendation is very helpful! At what angle does the HTR 7000 fire? I'm trying to layout where the three sets would be installed. I am especially worried that the surrounds would have to installed immediately next to a wall and still might fire over the head of the closest seated listener.

How close to the wall can the HTR7000 be installed before the sound is compromised?

My ceiling is 8 feet and my single row of seating (three seats) is approximately 12 feet from the TV.

Thanks again for all your help.

Moderator Posted 3 years 5 months ago
Hi Demurrer, the Invisa HTR7000s are physically designed with a 30 degree angle to the ceiling surface. In addition, since they have a fairly wide dispersion of sound, it's rare that I see instances where they do not work well as surround and Atmos speakers. Ideally, you want to place the Invisa HTR7000s 12" (or further) from any wall surfaces. If, however, they're mounted closer than 12" to a wall surface, most auto-calibration systems will compensate or adjust the delay accordingly.

Demurrer Posted 3 years 4 months ago
Sorry for the follow up. But I still haven't pulled the trigger yet because other issues have arisen (don't ask). Anyway, I feel really comfortable with using HTR 7000s for the rears and height speakers in a 7.1.2 system as you recommend. However, looking at how narrow the room is and using graph paper and a angle measure, I can't shake the feeling that given the relative narrowness of my room, the HTR 7000s' 30 degree angle will shoot over the nearest listeners' heads as surrounds. I know you mentioned they have a wide dispersion pattern and that rarely happens. But do you know approximately how wide they disperse degree wise? Based on my rudimentary math and elementary school level geometry skills, it seems to me each surround speaker set at 30 degrees would point directly at the head of the furthest listener. At 45 degrees it would hit the center listener. And the nearest listener would need something approaching 60-65 degrees, which seems to me would require a very wide dispersion pattern.

Granted, I may be over thinking this. And I will defer to your expertise. But I am wondering whether Superstat 3s attached at to the side walls immediately behind the listeners at ear level would envelop better, even though they are smaller speakers and would stick out of the walls.

Thanks again in advance for your help!
Attachments:

Moderator Posted 3 years 4 months ago
Hi Demurrer, Given the additional details regarding your setup, the Invisa HTR 7000 in-ceiling speakers would still perform very well as your "side surrounds". Even though the placement of these side surrounds may not be "ideal", these speakers produce quality sound 45 degrees off axis in all directions. I wouldn't see any issues with using the Invisa HTR7000s in this application.

If it's easier, you could certainly use the SuperSat 3s as your side surrounds mounted on the side walls immediately behind the listeners. I would, however, recommend raising them a bit higher than ear level. This will help them create a greater sense of spaciousness around the listeners.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Atmos Setup Recommendation