file HTR 7000 or 650 for Atmos (Top) Speakers in a 5.2.4 Configuration?

• Scott's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Scott Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Scott. info_outline
I am in the process of building a new home and am having some pre-wiring done for setting up a 5.2.4 system.

My planned system is:

Mains: Triton One or Triton 2+
Center: SuperCenter XXL
Surrounds: Invisa MPX
Top Front/Top Rear: HTR 7000 or 650
Subwoofers: JL Audio Fathom F113 (x2)

They will be set-up as follows (I've also attached a photo of the floorplan for reference):

Based on my planned set-up and seating, I am anticipating about a 12 foot seating distance from the screen and about 11 feet from the main listening positing (MLP) to the front speakers.

Based on the 11' distance from the MLP to the speakers, I am planning on placing my front speakers 11 feet apart (5.5' from center).

The 2 surrounds will be wall mounted at about 48" high. The wall is approx. 4' behind the MLP. The surround speakers will each be 7.5' from center (located approx. the same width as the support beams).

The 2 top front speakers will be ceiling mounted. The ceiling height is 8' for these speakers. They will be placed in line with the front L/R speakers (5.5' from center) and 4' forward of the MLP.

The 2 top rear speakers will be ceiling mounted. The ceiling height is 7'1" for these speakers. They will be placed in line with the front L/R speakers (5.5' from center) and 3' behind the MLP (which would be about 1' away from the rear wall).

(Note: The audio/video components will all be in the right front corner of the room. I may also consider moving the JL Audio subwoofers to the right front and right rear corners of the room (instead of flanking the screen).

Given the room and planned set-up.....what is the recommended speaker to use for the top speakers (Atmos) in this configuration. Both the HTR 7000s or the 650s are in my budget. I just want to pick the correct speaker for the application.

Thank you for any input.

Input is also welcome for any other placement issues you may notice. Thanks!

Scott

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Hi Scott, should be a great setup as you have outlined it. For ceiling heights under 10' we suggest the HTR 7000 for HEIGHT CHANNEL (not Top). They are typically placed slightly outside of the listening area and then angled in towards the MLP. The use of the angled HTR 7000 prevents the "hot spots" you would get with a standard ceiling mounted speaker so close to your head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Hagman's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 24
Hagman Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Just wanted to add that I use 4 HTR 7000s in a 5.4.4 system (T1s, SCXXL, T2+s) with an 8 foot ceiling and they sound great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• nevets77's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 41
nevets77 Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm really looking forward to joining the GE club. Sadly, I'm selling a beloved motorcycle but using the funds to update my outdated HT. The current room is 18x24x10. JVC projector with 100" screen, snell c2 fronts, snell xa55 ctr, boston acoustics sides and rear with an 18" JBL SUB. Parasound 2205 amp and C2 pre , Oppo 103 along with an adcom and carver amp for sub, surrounds and a tactile transducer in the couch. While this system has given me plenty of enjoyment in a 6.1 setup for years, it's become very long in the tooth. So in an attempt to cure my depression from the bike loss I'm planning to get some T2+ fronts, T5 surrounds, xxl ctr, 650 heights, and either and Integra DRC r1.1 or Anthem 60 for a 5.1.4 Atomos setup. Budget will most likely be Integra since I can get one for 1k less than the Anthem. Either way I am truly excited to finally update and start enjoying music and current HT again.

As far as the height speakers are concerned, I always see responses regarding ceiling height of less than 10 ft the recommendation would be for the 7000's. My height IS 10ft. Will I be ok with the 650's ? I'm already over budget and the 7000's would have to wait at least another year probably more... I just want to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake going with the 650's. I realize that the 7000 are better but do I really need them ? thanks
Triton Reference Triton One's Triton Fives , ref center, invista 650's , JBL 18" sub, Anthem AVM 60 , Emotiva XPA-5 ,Parasound 2205 , Adcom 555 , clark synthesis tactile transducer,
JVC dla x55r , Oppo 103
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago
With a ten foot ceiling the Invisa 650s will work great as height speakers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi, Nevets77

That's a great GEt speaker combination you're considering! I think you'll love the "GEt sound" and the Atmos set up.

Re Invisa 650's as heights, I have a combination of Invisa 7000's as top fronts and Invisa 525's as top rears with a 9' ceiling (the 525's were originally surrounds several system iterations ago). They work together perfectly. The 7000's are positioned a little more outboard than the 525's but both pairs work well. I.E. the Invisa's in general make great height channel speakers.

I think you'll find the 650's will do a great job for you! You can aim the tweeters towards the listening positions and get immersive coverage IMHO.

Good luck with your project!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice HTR 7000 or 650 for Atmos (Top) Speakers in a 5.2.4 Configuration?