lightbulb Might this be the tweeter of all tweeters?

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
I recall Sandy himself stating that an ionic tweeter can produce the best audio technology can offer. I further recall his mentioning that cost and safety are the reasons this was not implemented in the Triton's. Apparently there is a set/pair of money-no-object speakers where this tweeter has been implemented.

My point in starting this thread is essentially human interest only. If money were no object, I'd GET (no pun intended) a pair of these in a New York minute. Note the Triton's use a D'Appolito layout. Same with these quarter million dollar speakers!

www.lansche-audio.com/english/loudspeakers/no-8-2/

And check out this tweeter:

www.lansche-audio.com/english/loudspeakers/plasma-tweeter/
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
And only $266,000 in Piano Black. When the literature talks about the "combustion chamber" in the plasma tweeter.... well...I can understand why safety might be an issue. :unsure:

That price tag puts them in a similar stratosphere with the Wilson Alexandria XLF's ($200,000+ a pair)! It would be an interesting exercise to see/hear one vs. the other. Both speaker systems are huge, and kind of ungainly looking.

Interesting, GDHAL! Thanks for sharing.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• htnut3's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
htnut3 Posted 2 years 1 month ago
Looks like an old thread but I just thought as I was looking into these plasma tweeters I would mention that there has been a good many more built than most people realise over the years, a good insight here massless.info/Commercial.html . Looks like there are still 3 makes out there.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Might this be the tweeter of all tweeters?