file Wolf In Sheep's Clothing - SC3DXL System Review

• thinkthis's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 37
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
thinkthis Posted 8 years 6 months ago
We recently did a light remodel of our main family room and decided to go with a layout that didn't leave a lot of room for tower speakers. I took it upon myself to design a system that I knew would be a sonic upgrade over the decent Polk Audio system it replaced, but also had a much higher WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). I initially wanted to go with 5 HTR 7000s for a nearly invisible 5.1 setup, but I decided the room was just a little bit too small to give the necessary distance to make that magic work. I settled on a SuperCinema 3D Array XL, with two Invisa 650s taking up rear duty and a ForceField 5 to round out the system.

Once we had everything setup the wife gave the system two thumbs up (although she wishes GE could make an invisible sub, she did appreciate that the FF5 was half the size of our old JBL sub). She was extra happy to see our old Polk Audio towers go and loves the clean look of the sound bar. We actually remolded the fireplace and mantle specifically to showcase the SC3DXL! Once we had it all setup I had the fireplace remodel contractors take a minute to listen to the system. I showed them some action sequences from Batman Begins and they both literally dropped their jaws. They could not believe the sound generated by all 6 speakers! I was a little bid sad there wasn't enough room to run HTR 7000s as rears, but I actually couldn't be more happy with the 650s. They sound very rich and clear and work excellent as rear channels in a home theater setup. They also work great for playing music in a dual stereo setup as well (where the SC3D and the 650s both play in stereo).

I've been pondering and planning this remodel for months and absolutely love how it all came together. Anyone walking into the room who is not familiar with GE likely will not give two seconds thought about the audio setup and they might think that we went with something pretty basic. But as soon as we turn the system on and start playing something the wolf emerges. If I was a bachelor I might be running 5 Triton Ones, but in a world where compromises must be made, I'm glad there are options like the SC3D XL and the Invisa Series where compromising can still leave everyone with a smile on their face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Great system you have put together, thinkthis! Congratulations!

Happy listening to fantastic sound system you now have!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 6 months ago
ThinkThis, WOW, I am VERY impressed!!!!!!
Well done.
Good job to get great sound and keep the wife happy at the same time.
Yes, an invisible sub would be great, but the FF5 can get really excited and vibrate a LOT when you play heavy, low bass. I have my wife sit on top of it as we watch that part of the movie, she holds it down, it sounds better and she loves it!!!!!! Give that a try.
Talk about everybody having a smile on their face!!!!
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by thinkthis. info_outline
I tried to attach a couple of photos so you can see what it looks like but I failed. So I made a post with some image links in the show off in the system forum.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 8 years 6 months ago
They didn't work there either. Not sure why, I attached an image yesterday without issue (Stereophile Product of the Year Logo). Are your images too big maybe? Try reducing them maybe?

Here is another attempt with smaller photos:

Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review SuperCinema 3D Array Wolf In Sheep's Clothing - SC3DXL System Review