file Very odd theater room - considering all HTR8000 but open to advice

• Darren's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Darren Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Darren. info_outline
My room is 16' wide by 18' deep and the perimeter ceiling height is 7'10" tall. Half the back wall is open to the rest of the house. The ceiling is the biggest hurdle. It has a large tray such that the perimeter of the room has a flat part of the ceiling that is 26" from the wall towards the center of the room all the way around. From there it steps up 6" and then to a 45 degree slant for about 4 feet up to the central flat part of the ceiling that is only 4' wide. So you can imagine kind of a pyramid with a flat top I suppose. The screen is mounted above my fireplace (only orientation that works for the room) and I have an infinite baffle subwoofer (four 15" drivers) opening directly above the TV making it hard to use a center channel that is not mounted in the 45 degree ceiling portion. I have included a picture of my current setup in that section that will give an idea what I'm dealing with. Anyway, with the limited ceiling mounting area will I be out of luck for all ceiling speakers? I'm open to ideas to make it work. I want in-wall or in-ceiling since I'm remodeling which will make that easier. The two bookshelves at the front will be removed and I'll have open shelves leaving the full 26" flat area in the ceiling available. I'm kinda worried about the sound stage being able to reach the sitting position near the back of the room. I checked and it appears the fronts will be 14' from my listening location. Not sure the HTR8000 would work for that distance at 8' ceiling height. Thoughts? I'm thinking the front 3 might need to be SPS like I was originally thinking and possibly use MPX for the rear surround and HTR7000 for mid room Atmos. I can get 10' from the Atmos speakers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Hi Darren, You should be okay with using 3 x Invisa HTR8000s in the 8 foot ceiling section - near the front wall of your listening room. When placing the Invisa HTR8000s into an 8 foot ceiling, the listening position "sweet spot" would be roughly 10-14 feet away from the front speakers. In your application, your listening position would be at the far end of the sweet spot, but you should be okay. (The dispersion of the Invisa HTR8000s is pretty broad as well...)

If the 2 x front bookshelves are being removed from your listening room, (and it's not too much trouble to install), you could certainly use 3 x Invisa SPSs in the front wall of your listening room. The Invisa SPSs are truly reference quality in-wall speakers - and placing them in the front wall of your listening room would work very well.

I do not see any issues with using a pair of Invisa HTR7000s as your height or Atmos speakers - along with a pair of Invisa MPXs as your surrounds. This should round out your home theater system quite well. Your home theater system is shaping up to be a top-of-the-line system. Happy Listening!

Thanks for all the info. Do you see a problem with me using an SPS in the same location of the ceiling as my current center speaker shown in the picture? It is the 45 degree-ish area above the TV.

Hi Darren, Using an Invisa SPS in the 45 degree area above the television - or in the same location as your current center speaker, should work very well. Happy Listening!

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Darren. info_outline
Awesome, one more question that I can think of. Using the SPS for the left and right speaker would mean I probably need to build out a "box" of sorts to mount them in. I will be installing shelves in those areas and I figure building the wall out around the speaker would push them forward of the shelving and items on the shelves. Also considering putting an angle on the built out area to toe the speakers in a bit. Kinda like a built-in speaker. I'm curious, if I did this, how much "baffle" or built out area around the speaker would be necessary to ensure the proper reflection that is being accounted for in the crossover. IE: how much surface on all sides of the speaker would be needed. Also, I assume this is an ok application. I'd be basically building a small speaker box kinda defeating the purpose but ensuring I could have the speakers up against the wall without issues. I'm not yet sure how far out but figure 6" or so.

Hi Darren, First, building a back-box for the Invisa SPS would work well. Next, bringing this enclosure (or back-box) forward 6 inches or so would also be fine. In fact, when bringing this enclosure forward, having a small (or minimal) baffle around the front of the speaker would be preferred. Minimizing refraction (or sound reflections) from any nearby surfaces would be preferred (and improve the imaging produced by these speakers).

When building a back box, I would recommend using one that has an internal volume of 1.76 cubic feet. This back box is fairly large, but it would work well with the Invisa SPS. I'd also recommend filling this back-box roughly half full of Dacron or fiberglass insulation. This will help dampen the bass a bit. Happy Listening!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Very odd theater room - considering all HTR8000 but open to advice