file MPX Installation Into Existing Walls or Ceilings

• waja's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
waja Posted 1 year 11 months ago
I am starting on building an HT in an existing room. The room is 12x16. One wall had openings into the adjacent hall with 13x13 columns. I closed off the smaller openings and just have one in the center that will someday have a door with side panels.
For speakers, I want to use the MPX speakers as my side surround speakers. The optimum placement is to put a speaker into one of the columns on one side of the room and into a flat wall on the other side.

I was reading the Installation manual and came across this:

2. Make sure the location selected is free of studs, electrical wiring, water or gas pipes, etc. Prior to installing, hold the speaker in your selected location to make sure it is clear of any obstacles. PLEASE NOTE: Your cutout must be at least 2" (50mm) from adjoining walls/ceiling, internal studs, and any pipes.

Using a stud detector, I found that the space between the internal studs is 8-3/4". The cutout is 6-1/4" leaving only 1-1/4"on each side. Can I still mount these speakers here? Is there a sonic or physical reason that a 2" space is required?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 10 months ago
Hi waja, The recommended distance/clearance of 2" on each side of the Invisa MPX's cutout dimension of 6.25" is recommended for the mounting dogs or locking arms to swing out and grab the back of the drywall. However, this recommendation is a bit conservative. The mounting dogs or locking arms only swing out 1 1/8" on each side of the Invisa MPX's cutout. Since you'll have a clearance of 1 1/4" on each side of the Invisa MPX's cutout (between studs), you should be fine. If you need any other information, feel free to reach out to GoldenEar's customer service group at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 1-949-800-1805 M-F 9-5:30 Eastern Time. Happy Listening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: waja

• waja's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
waja Posted 1 year 10 months ago
I received my two MPX speakers and proceeded to install one of the speakers into the column. Looks like I was off on the position of the studs in the column. I had a little less than 6 inches between the studs with a 4x4 on one side and two 2x4 on the other side. Took some cutting with an oscillating tool, reciprocating saw, chisels and hammer, but I was able to finally get the speaker to fit.
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series MPX Installation Into Existing Walls or Ceilings