file Any plan how to widen brackets?

• The Jay's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 33
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
The Jay Posted 2 years 2 months ago
Someone else must have gone through this.

The boxes are in the walls, drywall is up over them. Soon I'll be priming and painting, and installing the surrounds (2 side pairs and the rears; then 4 up top).

But ummm.....DD & GG is pretty common, and the bracket 'wings' won't expand that wide.
Has anyone managed to MacGyver a solution to this?

Thanks
Upstairs: SuperCinema 3 (SVS SB-2000 though), Denon AVR E-400
Downstairs: Triton 2+, SCXXL, MPX's on the sides, HTR's up top, rears ?? Marantz SR7010, PB-2000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 2 years 2 months ago
The Jay, I'm not real sure which "bracket wings won't expand that wide" in your installation. I suspect you might be referring to the mounting dogs or locking arms of the Invisa speakers - and they won't expand as wide as your wall opening? If this is the case, we'll need to reconstruct part of the drywall surface - to allow the mounting dogs to grab onto a solid surface. (If this isn't the case, can you please provide a bit more detail?) Happy Listening!

The Jay Posted 2 years 2 months ago
Yup that's the problemo. And it's a bit puzzling why longer screws weren't used ...y'know, considering how many out of the crazy minority do up a room with double 5/8ths. Oh well, it just would have been easier than digging drywall and green glue from inside the backer box..thanks for the reply!
Downstairs: Triton 2+, SCXXL, MPX's on the sides, HTR's up top, rears ?? Marantz SR7010, PB-2000

• waja's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
waja Posted 1 year 11 months ago

The Jay, I'm not real sure which "bracket wings won't expand that wide" in your installation. I suspect you might be referring to the mounting dogs or locking arms of the Invisa speakers - and they won't expand as wide as your wall opening? If this is the case, we'll need to reconstruct part of the drywall surface - to allow the mounting dogs to grab onto a solid surface. (If this isn't the case, can you please provide a bit more detail?) Happy Listening!

It sounds to me that The Jay was not referring to the width of the opening, but to the thickness of the sheetrock. The fix here are longer screws or to use a roto-tool to trim the back side of the sheetrock. I've done this before when installing old work single gang boxes.

The Jay Posted 1 year 10 months ago

It sounds to me that The Jay was not referring to the width of the opening, but to the thickness of the sheetrock. The fix here are longer screws or to use a roto-tool to trim the back side of the sheetrock. I've done this before when installing old work single gang boxes.

Yes yes that’s my issue….the won’t go wide enough to accommodate double 5/8” drywall. I was looking to see if I could replace the screws but it looks like if I try to take off the plastic piece on the end; well it looks like it won’t survive…I just got carpet in so I’m getting closer to cutting and installing them…

• waja's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
waja Posted 1 year 10 months ago
I ended up narrowing the wall thickness. Pictures here: MPX Installation

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Any plan how to widen brackets?