file Triton 5 amp compatibility and upgrade

• RegalJabroni's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
RegalJabroni Posted 1 year 1 month ago
I am building my first real audio system by upgrading piece by piece my current setup.
Soon I'll have triton 5's and want to make sure I drive them properly without damaging them.

My avr is an onkyo htrc360 rated at 100w/channel at 8Ω and 160 @ 6Ω, there is no rating at 4.
However the triton's say nominal 4 compatible 8 with 15-400 per channel.

Can this amp drive the speakers? Otherwise I have a samson 200 rated at 100w @ 4Ω, but I have no preamp out of the onkyo.

Most of the affordable avr don't have specs @ 4Ω, so if my current setup does not work, what should I look for? This is all connected to my projector for movies and music.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 1 month ago
I don't think you'll have any problem at all with your Onkyo.

The Triton fives are also rated at 90 DB efficient (which by the way may be an error on GoldenEars part in that it should probably read "sensitivity"... The two terms are related but not entirely the same).

The point though is you're not going to need much power to drive the T5s into loud listening levels.

I did a cursory check of the onkyo specs and I don't see where you're getting that 6 ohm power rating. I do see in the specs where it indicates "Speaker load impedance: 6Ω to 16Ω". If that specification is super strict which I doubt that it is then conceivably the speakers could wind up drawing more wattage from the Onkyo than it's comfortable with. But I doubt it.

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• RegalJabroni's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
RegalJabroni Posted 1 year 1 month ago
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by RegalJabroni. info_outline
The power rating for 6ohm is in the manual, also specifically says "You can connect speakers with an impedance of between 6 and 16 ohms. If you usespeakers with a lower impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long period of time, the built-in amp protection circuit may be activated"

But also that the chinese model does support 4ohm somehow. All of this reads like it is confusing on purpose.

edit: just to be safe I think I'll connect either my samson 200 or aiyima d03 in zone 2 of the avr just to be sure, both have specs for 4ohms.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 1 month ago

The power rating for 6ohm is in the manual, also specifically says "You can connect speakers with an impedance of between 6 and 16 ohms. If you usespeakers with a lower impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long period of time, the built-in amp protection circuit may be activated"

But also that the chinese model does support 4ohm somehow. All of this reads like it is confusing on purpose.

edit: just to be safe I think I'll connect either my samson 200 or aiyima d03 in zone 2 of the avr just to be sure, both have specs for 4ohms.

Based on what you've written you're already safe even if using the Onkyo...

"If you use speakers with a lower impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long period of time, the built-in amp protection circuit may be activated"

Seems to me the Onkyo is capable of protecting itself.

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 5 amp compatibility and upgrade