question-circle Are the subs in my One.R’s pointless?

• besposito's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
besposito Posted 1 year 8 months ago
Pot calling the kettle black

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 1 year 8 months ago
Why would the One.R's need a subwoofer? They don't. The room needs the subwoofer, as do all rooms.

Robert Harley from The Absolute Sound visited Magico's factory in Hayward California, where he heard the companys Flagship M9 loudspeaker.

Each M9 weighs 1000 pounds and the pair cost $750,000.00

He heard the M9's by themselves, and then augmented with two Magico Titan Subwoofers (32k each). Why would the massive M9 need a subwoofer? It doesn't; the room needs the subwoofer, as do All rooms, even a Reference quality room such as the one in Magico's factory.

If you like the sound stage that the OneR's present, by all means keep them and experiment with different crossovers until you find what sounds best to you.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• besposito's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
besposito Posted 1 year 8 months ago
Thank you for the informative response! I agree. Do you think I should put a high pass filter on the One.R's, or continue to utilize the subs in them (so technically I'm running 4 subs)?

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 1 year 8 months ago
Have you seen Sandy's Set Up tip for adding additional Subwoofers to the Tritons with built in subs?

If you are utilizing this method and it doesn't have the sound you want, try adding a high pass filter.

I personally would use the subs in the One.R's and set the volume on the svs subs a bit higher.

Using Additional Separate Subwoofer(s): Although all these Tritons have built-in powered subwoofers for superb performance without the addition of a separate subwoofer, bass is sort of like horsepower, and for some listeners, the more the merrier. So you can certainly add an additional subwoofer or two if you like. Normally, you would hook only the outboard sub(s) to the LFE channel of your receiver/processor, still setting as Left and Right Main = LARGE and Sub = YES, thus directing all LFE bass only to the outboard sub(s). Another interesting option is to run the receiver's/processor's LFE-out into both the Tritons as well as your additional subwoofer(s), splitting the LFE-out(s) as necessary to achieve three (or more). This will give you, in effect, 3 (or more) LFE subwoofers, which can be quite impactful, as well as giving you smoother LFE coverage throughout your room. To get the LFE level balanced properly between your additional subwoofer and the Tritons, the key is to take full advantage of your additional subwoofer's capabilities while keeping the LFE level being sent to the Tritons appropriate. Normally, you would have the additional subwoofer(s) playing louder than the Tritons on an LFE signal, using the additional sub's level control(s) to achieve this
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Are the subs in my One.R’s pointless?