file Good Speaker stands for the BRX

• cheyneb25's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
cheyneb25 Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Hello all. I was just posting here in the hopes of getting some good advice on what a good speaker stand would be to use with the BRX speakers.

I run a 7.1.4 setup (with 5 subs EQ'd separately and aligned/summed as the .1 in the system) and the usage for it is about 80% movies/tv and 20% music. I have 2 Aon speakers for the rear surround channels, 2 Triton 5's for the front L/R channels, and I use 3 BRX speakers for the 2 side surround channels and the Center channel.

I already have a dedicated center channel stand that does very well for the BRX positioned there, but I'm having trouble finding a good speaker stand to use with the 2 BRX speakers I use as the side surround channels.

I have them elevated up about 13-14 inches above ear level (ear level is 36") on the universal speaker stands I'm currently using, the VideoSecu2 stands. The problem is that since they are elevated up over ear level the BRX speakers are also being angled down more towards the listening area, and they are somewhat difficult to precisely maneuver and position effectively. The ball joint mechanism that it uses to pan and tilt the attached speaker isn't terrible, but its hard to adjust it with any fine degree of accuracy.

And even though i have weights laying on the bottoms of the stands for stability and to keep them from being too top heavy, the speakers still don't feel as secure as I would like them to being on stands that high up.

And since the stands use adjustable side clamps to hold the speaker in place on the stand, the odd angle/shape of the BRX speaker cabinet makes it hard to get a proper grip on them without applying too much pressure and potentially damaging them.

So, my question is, are there any good articulating/adjustable speaker stands/mounts that can be recommended to use with the BRX bookshelf speakers in this capacity?
The following user(s) said Thank You: greengenra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cheyneb25 Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Soooo.... still crickets after a month huh? Thanks mod..

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Hi cheyneb25

Sorry you haven't gotten some suggestions about possible more stable speaker stands. I suspect you've stumped most of us with the desire for a more stable table. Lots of adjustable tables on line, all look a bit less than completely stable if bumped.

We'd love to help if we could! Are you handy with DIY tools? Maybe a project to make some pedestal type stands with wide bases?

Just a thought....

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

cheyneb25 Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Thanks for responding here sir, all discourse is appreciated. To answer your Q, yes - I am handy w/ DIY tools. After the long wait for a response on this thread that's the route that I ended up taking - I ended up just modifying my existing stands the best that I could.

My solution was to make some small wooden wedges (similar in shape and size to a standard door stop) with thin veneers of rubber glued to their surfaces. I placed these wedges between the sides of the speaker cabinet and the clamps that hold the speaker in place - this gave an angled side for the speaker to remain flush against with equal pressure along the whole side while the opposite side of the wedge was straight so that it too was flush against the clamp.

And to make the speaker stand more bottom stable / less top heavy, I just added some additional weight to the bottom of it. I went from using one to using two sand-filled vinyl donuts from Sweetwater, they are placed on the bottom of the stand's base and the stand pole comes up thru the center of the donuts.

Not the prettiest of fixes, and I still would have preferred something better, but my solutions have accomplished what I was hoping they would.

It would still be nice if the GoldenEar Mod, or anyone else, could post some additional recommendations for this issue though. Since the BRX does not have any attachment points for it to be mounted to a bracket I tend to doubt that I'm the only one that has run into this kind of problem when trying to position the BRX.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Clever solution! Good for you! That should give you a good, stable base for your BRX’s.
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: cheyneb25

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Aon Series Good Speaker stands for the BRX