file AON 3

• squidwidly's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
squidwidly Posted 12 years 1 month ago
After auditioning a number of bookshelf speakers over the last 2 weeks, I finally stumbled upon the Aon 3's. I originally went into the store to listen to the Paradigm Studio 20's, and after 30 seconds, I knew they weren't for me. The bass drum sounded really artificial. Then the guy asked if he could hook up the Aon 3's (to a Peachtree iDecco). I was immediately hooked. They only had the floor models in stock so I bought them at a slight discount...bonus... they're already broken in!
I brought them home and hooked them up to a couple different amps. I really liked the Peachtree combo, so I bought a used Nova off Audiogon...that should be here any day. Until then I used my old Denon home theater receiver paired first with a McIntosh MC2505 amp. This amp sounds fantastic on my Dahlquist DQ-10's, but just so-so on the Aons. Then I hooked up a Bel Canto Evo 200.2 and it sounded much more open and the drums had more snap. I actually have this amp for sale, because they didn't pair well with the Dahlquists. Now I'm going to hold off until I can pair it with the Peachtree Nova. May the best amp win!
The best way I can describe these speakers is "balanced".
It's not warm, midrange-fat or overly bright. To my ears, they're absolutely perfect, although I did use a small Mirage MM-8 sub to fill in the lows a bit.
Soundstage and imaging are fantastic. Nice and wide and deep, especially with the Bel Canto amp. They just make me smile.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 12 years 1 month ago
Thanks, great review!

• squidwidly's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
squidwidly Posted 12 years 1 month ago
Just thought I'd give a quick follow-up on my Aon 3/amp matching.
I got my Nova today and spent a couple hours switching between :
1. The Nova's amp
2. Bel Canto
3. McIntosh
All were using the Nova as the DAC/PRE through an airport express/optical connection.
The Bel was very energetic, but the cymbals/high hat didn't sound quite real...they were like hyper cymbals.
But I liked the excitement and punch.
The Mac had it's signature fat midrange and the best sounding drums (I'm a drummer...this is how I assess things :) ) But the horn sections and some male voices
were just too much.
Those both gave me the most listener fatigue, and I plan on having a lot of long listening sessions.
So...The Nova wins for now. Besides having the best bass extension, it wasn't spectacular at anything in particular, yet I couldn't fault it for much either and it was the most enjoyable to listen to for an extended period of time. And although I got the Aon 3's as demos, I'm not so sure they have 100 hours of break-in time yet. All I know is, I'm keeping the Aon's...it's the amps that have to fight for a job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back