file Which Center Channel for Aon 3's

• wweiss's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 130
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
wweiss Posted 10 years 1 month ago
Just bought my Aon 3's and have a good 12"sub. Incredible combination! SQ approaching my Triton 2's!

Now looking for a center channel. First: what should the crossover be set at for the center channel?

I have room behind the TV for another Aon 3 but I don't know how much sound that would block.

Other choices would be Super Center XL or Super Center X. Price is not a factor. Since I have a sub do the more expensive centers that go as low as 36Hz really matter?
So much music-so little time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 1 month ago
WWeiss,
That is a great problem to have and you are asking at the right place.
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the GE center channels. But it would be most interesting if you did use the Aon 3 behind the TV.
Let us know what you decide and how it sounds?
And Enjoy,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 10 years 1 month ago
I would not place the center behind the TV (unless you have a projection with a screen that allows sound to travel through it). The higher the frequency the more directional the sound. The TV would block the sound of the highs and mids. Your center would sound muffled and you would loose all imagery.
As for the XL vs the X, either one would work. If cost and size are not a factor go for the XL.

• wweiss's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 130
wweiss Posted 10 years 1 month ago
If I could place the Aon 3 below the screen would it equal or exceed the performance of the Super Center XL? Again price is not the factor.
So much music-so little time!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 10 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hi wweiss -

The Aon 3 below the screen, if still on axis (or aimed to be on axis) with your seated listening position ear level, will sound spectacular. There is a wonderful review of a 5.1 system in Home Theater magazine (link on our website) by Mark Fleischman with 5 Aon 2's and a ForceField 5 that was a huge rave, check it out. (I have used a setup with three Aon 3's across the front and it was marvelous. My wife did not care for the look so it was abandoned for a SuperSat 60C and later a SuperCenter XL.)

In answer to your earlier question about crossover frequency (and the reason no one in the Forum answered up until now) is because the answer is "it depends on WHICH center channel", and also more about your listening habits, room size, etc. In general, SuperCenters suggested crossover is between 40-80 Hz, Aon 3 probably 60-80 Hz range. The higher setting is preferred for getting louder average overall system playback levels and improved dynamic range in large rooms.

In answer to your new question about the Aon 3 outperforming the SuperCenter XL, the answer is, again, "it depends on what performance parameter we're talking about". The SuperCenter XL will play louder (handle more power) than the Aon 3 and may play a tad lower. I think it also sounds just as good as the Aon 3. But, there are people who prefer IDENTICAL speakers across the front. There are others who believe only speakers with a single-woofer and vertical driver arrangement are acceptable (therefore eliminating virtually all horizontal center channels).

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review Aon Series Which Center Channel for Aon 3's