file New ForceField 5

• electrospin's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
electrospin Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I am a new owner of a ForceField 5 sub woofer. In researching things, I have found only a handful of reviews of these speakers so I thought I would provide my thoughts regarding my experiences. My system consists of an Integra 40.5 reciever, T6 Image PSB towers, a PSB C5 center, and two PSB S5 back surround speakers. My theater/audio room is roughly 15X20 ft and is open on one side. I had been using an old Onkyo Sub, which the ff5 replaced. Suffice it to say that I am very happy with the upgrade. The FF5 blends in perfectly with my PSB system. The effect provides a level of depth to the sound quality that was sorely lacking with Onkyo Sub. I have the crossover set at about 50 hz, which seems to be the sweet spot for this system. Movies come alive with the addition of the infrasonic component, and the T-rex scenes in Jurassic park just rock. The nice thing though is that the FF5 really works well with my PSBs when playing music, enhancing the overall experience.

Now I am not a complete idiot and I realize that it is no surprise that a sub like the FF5 surpasses the performance of an old sub from a theater in a Box system. However, I will note that in purchasing the FF5, I auditioned a number of much more expensive options from the likes of B and W and JL audio. In the end, I found no differences that warranted spending 2 to 4 times as much for my interests and expectations. The bottom line is that the FF5 provides me tons of power for LFEs in movies, enhances my system's already good performance with respect to music(rock, classical, jazz, I play them all!), and integrates seamlessly into my existing PSB system with very little effort. All for a reasonable price.

One other note. In other forums, I have come across some frustration and confusion regarding the nebulous nature of the power ratings for these subwoofers. As an engineer, I too, share this curiosity, although having read some more on this forum about the subject I understand why GE is playing things close to the vest. In the end, I listened to the speaker and bought it based on what I heard, not what was on the paper. For anyone considering one of these subs as an option, let me assure you, power is not an issue! I operate the FF5 with the dial turned about an eighth of the way up(between 7 and 8 on the clock). Anything else rattles the rafters in the attic and scares the birds from the trees a block away. It gives my home theater that big movie theater feel and my family has a blast.

I am very, very happy with my purchase.

Hope people find this useful.

JMD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, kaniggit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Welcome - great post! Thanks so much for sharing, enjoy your new sub.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi ElectroSpin and welcome to the forum.
Glad you too are a happy GE owner! I too have the FF5 and am very happy with it. But still learning.
Thanks to tell us where you have the crossover set, and your volume level. Can I ask, where did you locate the sub?
I have mine turned up more than you, around 9:30. And you are absolutely right about the power, there is TONS, LOADS of power running that bad boy.
Please keep us informed how things go with you and your improved system.
Enjoy the music,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• electrospin's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
electrospin Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi Wayne,
My Front channel towers are spaced about 12-13 ft apart and I have the FF5 set just to the inside of left speaker. My theater is a basement room with walls on 3 sides, the fourth one open to a larger area. About ~250 sq ft. in the immediate listening area. It seems to work for me, as the sound field seems pretty seamless. I have been considering elevating the sub, mainly for curiosity's sake, but mostly I have just been listening and enjoying. I am very pleased with how well the FF5 integrates with the rest of the speakers. Watched Fellowship of the Ring last night, planning on Phantom of the Opera with my Wife tonight.

Cheers!

JMD
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Sub needs to be on the floor to work properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Electrospin,
The FF5 needs to be firmly coupled with the floor so that the downfiring (radiating really) infrasonic radiator will work properly.
AND I find the FF5 a bit lighter than some of it's competition for the amount of power it has and can put out.
So, a win/win situation is to have the wife straddle the FF5 sub to put her weight on it to firmly couple it to the floor!
This will make the sound even better, and AFTER the movie, you may find there are other benefits.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back