file Gaia II with Triton 1.R?

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 1 year 10 months ago

I always wonder if the T Ref's midrange clarity is much better than the 1.r's but I have a hard time thinking it is $3500 better, I always get the impression the big difference is in the bass. Maybe midrange clarity is much improved and some day I can upgrade to them. I just feared that the bass will over whelm my listening room since I am already working hard to get it under control.

Fred, I'm not an expert on the 1.r, but I suspect the midrange drivers are similar to the TRefs. Others can probably shed more light on that.

On the bass, the room standing wave modes are the biggest culprit, and both speaker and seating position in the room can affect your perception of them. If the bass remains a big problem, there are digital room correction solutions available. I have a DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 that I use as a DAC/Pre, and it allows good (but not total) control of room bass problems. I think your work with absorbers is the best solution.

Sounds like you're on your way to a great listening room. I have area rugs on my floor in front of and behind the listening position. I put a thick pad under the rug in front to help absorb reflections and reduce floor vibration. That's probably not a problem with your concrete floor, but the extra absorption helps with the overall room reverberation.

Good luck on your project!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 10 months ago

I always wonder if the T Ref's midrange clarity is much better than the 1.r's but I have a hard time thinking it is $3500 better, I always get the impression the big difference is in the bass. Maybe midrange clarity is much improved and some day I can upgrade to them. I just feared that the bass will over whelm my listening room since I am already working hard to get it under control.

Fred, I'm not an expert on the 1.r, but I suspect the midrange drivers are similar to the TRefs. Others can probably shed more light on that. .........................

Charlie

According to the Golden Ear website, driver compliment (excerpt):

TRef - Two - 6˝ High-Definition Cast-Basket Reference Mid/Bass Drivers
T1R - Two - 5-1/4˝ High-Definition Cast-Basket MVPP™, Focused Field, Reference Upper-Bass/Mid Drivers

@Moderator There is likely an oversight on the GE website, because the TRef does have the "MVPP™, Focused Field"

That stated, I would suspect little to no difference as far as "clarity" until the decibel level reaches a point that the 1R is unable to handle without distortion, with respect to what the TRef can handle without distortion.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• FST251's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
FST251 Posted 1 year 10 months ago
Thanks that explanation helps a lot. I suspected that they were VERY close with the T ref getting more bass as well as more capable of higher SPL. I don't need any more loudness. I do have the Mini DSP Studio on my radar for the ability to digitally make room corrections. That will be after I finish the bass absorbers and make the REW measurements. Noe I just have to decide of the Gaia's are going to work, I guess I can send them back to Amazon if not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• MrFluffyWalrus's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 5
MrFluffyWalrus Posted 1 year 10 months ago
For what it's worth for the OP and others as general info - I installed GII's on my original model T1s and have not looked back.

My situation is a 5.5 x 6.5m L shaped room, timber floors, underlay and carpet over that with a 1m under-floor space. Floor joists down there are old hardwood on concrete piers, it is insulated with 50mm dense rock-wool (a neck-killer installation job while lying on my back talking to spiders...)

I had been using spikes on my (very old) AR9s prior to purchasing the T Ones. I used the Ones straight onto carpet for about 3 months before deciding to purchase the Gaias. I noticed: things rattled less in the room afterwards - MUCH less. Bass tightened noticeably and midrange came a bit more forward. Imaging really improved while the soundstage pretty much untouched (did not widen/shrink at all).
Note: I have not so far opted for the optional spike discs to place under the Gaias - recommended for carpet but no, not yet.

One thing not mentioned by others is that they look fabulous - really lift the Tritons and make them appear more refined and 'grounded'.

Worth the money in my set up and situation.
NAD M33 - Rega P6/Ortofon Quintet Bronze - Oppo BDP 105 - GoldenEar Triton One - Gaia II iso feet - IsoTek EVO 3 power cords and power boards - some wire...
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDHAL, FST251

• MrFluffyWalrus's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 5
MrFluffyWalrus Posted 1 year 10 months ago
Sorry moderator - accidentally hit send ..

I can hear this noise from my listening position at 2.3 m away - as said, is louder in the left. I'm writing this from work so cannot access my rig but later I intend to take a db reading from my listening position and also from 1m on both channels.

It is annoying in quiet music passages as I do hear it, not from only 1 or 2 inches away.

I have changed power cords out from stock standard to Isoteks and back. I have changed wall plug sources, plugged them both into a different circuit via long extensions. I have unplugged refrigerators, microwaves, all lamps, TVs and aircons. Have not yet bought and placed shorting caps on amp outlets and/or sub ins on the T Ones...maybe next?
NAD M33 - Rega P6/Ortofon Quintet Bronze - Oppo BDP 105 - GoldenEar Triton One - Gaia II iso feet - IsoTek EVO 3 power cords and power boards - some wire...

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 10 months ago

For what it's worth for the OP and others as general info - I installed GII's on my original model T1s and have not looked back.

My situation is a 5.5 x 6.5m L shaped room, timber floors, underlay and carpet over that with a 1m under-floor space. Floor joists down there are old hardwood on concrete piers, it is insulated with 50mm dense rock-wool (a neck-killer installation job while lying on my back talking to spiders...)

I had been using spikes on my (very old) AR9s prior to purchasing the T Ones. I used the Ones straight onto carpet for about 3 months before deciding to purchase the Gaias. I noticed: things rattled less in the room afterwards - MUCH less. Bass tightened noticeably and midrange came a bit more forward. Imaging really improved while the soundstage pretty much untouched (did not widen/shrink at all).
Note: I have not so far opted for the optional spike discs to place under the Gaias - recommended for carpet but no, not yet.

One thing not mentioned by others is that they look fabulous - really lift the Tritons and make them appear more refined and 'grounded'.

Worth the money in my set up and situation.

If your carpet is low pile use of the Gaia spike cups can (albeit may not) reduce the overall effectiveness of the Gaia rubber underside. Use of the spike cups should only be considered when stability of the speaker is questionable on high pile carpet. The aforementioned per my discussion with dealer, isoacoustics and to some extent GE.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review Triton Series Gaia II with Triton 1.R?