file Super Center XL with Emotive mono block AMP

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Splash51 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Hello everyone, I have spent some time listening to the SC XL with a Yamaha RX-A1040. I have replaced that with an Emotive XPA -1L mono block amp to drive the XL. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! The dynamics of the SC XL are much better. Bass is larger, more defined and crisp. Upper and mid range are clear and all seem to have no real origin. Really adds to the surround sound stage.

Enjoy!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Speaking of the SC XL...I have 5-10 center channel speakers, not one of them I'm I truly happy with, each one has a problem in certain areas. Do you experience sibilance in female voices with the SC XL? What about the male voice...do you experience edginess in any particular actor's voice? High volume, both sitting and standing...any problems? Is the SC XL the Perfect Center channel, lacking in No areas? Could you absolutely live with the SC XL for the rest of your life, or when the next big thing comes along it's up for sale on Ebay? I want a center channel that I can live with for the rest of my life...is the SC XL that speaker?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
There is no such thing as a speaker for life. There will always be some new wiz bang technology that will knock your socks off. The question I ask is can I live with it now.

I do not hear anything you described from the SC XL that I have. It is crisp and clear with all voices and sounds. Were you using the same preamp/amp to drive all those other centers? Perhaps the issue is not the speaker???

• icharis's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 29
icharis Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by icharis. info_outline
I feel the SC XL projects sound very well both vertically. When having this speaker on demo I found that if I sat in my breakfast room where I am sitting a bit higher at about 25 feet away and behind a 4 foot wall I did not have any issues listening as if I was on my couch 15 feet away and a couple of feet lower. I did find though that horizontal dispersion is not as great. Sitting near 90 degrees to the speaker (I was installing some shelving in a closet during a football game) I found myself having to move towards the front of the speaker to hear. This was not the case when I had a SuperSat60C connected.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Were you using the same preamp/amp to drive all those other centers?
Primarily yes. I have Center's ranging from $75.00 - $3200.00...each has a weakness in certain areas. Currently I'm using the GE SS60C...it's weakness is in certain female voices (not all).

Through the years I've paid attention to reviewers comments on center channels, most cringe at the thought of reviewing the center channel...they aren't voiced properly. To date, (I've read) of only 4 centers that have been voiced properly ...is the SC XL #5?

The center channel is the most important speaker in a HT setup. I want a center that I can get lost in...is the SC XL that speaker?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 9 years 4 months ago
The SC XL is excellent (I'm using one), but a matching Triton to the L/R mains would be best. Going to be hard to get the TV perched on top of it though. :)

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review SuperCenter Series Super Center XL with Emotive mono block AMP