• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steveo Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Steveo. info_outline
Hi all
It's been a while. Had a really bad year and am going through a rough divorce. My wife up and left me for someone she met at her new work who by the way has only been there a year.. After 10 years together.

Anyway So I thought now would be a perfect time to buy some more GE before the split of finances! Haha

So I have a decent system already.

Triton 1s for front
Supercenter xxl for centre
Supersat 3 for rears.

The question I have is I want to get more out of the surrounds and maybe turn it into a 7.1

So I have a few questions I want answers from anyone and especially the moderator.

1) I believe in the past the moderator says the Supersat 3 are perfect for surrounds and anything more is kind of overkill. (or something to that affect. Please excuse me if I got that wrong, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.)

Does that still stand?

I am thinking of going for Triton 5s or Triton 3+ or 2+ for rears.

2)"Would having the plus model be worth it or am I better off getting a cheaper 2 or 3 non plus version?

3)I was thinking 3 or 2 as I will have an additional sub in the back. Would this make much difference in low frequency output?

4) However I can pick up the t5s for real cheap. Will this do?

5) should I be considering the supersub xxl instead for bass or does the t1s suffice and would it be redundant?

Basically how much more performance can I expect out of having better rears and keeping the Supersat 3 to turn it into a 7.1 instead of 5.1?

Anyone have experience upgrading from the Supersat 3 to something higher?

Thanks in advance for your advice here.

Steve
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 4 months ago

Steveo wrote: Hi all
It's been a while. Had a really bad year and am going through a rough divorce. My wife up and left me for someone she met at her new work who by the way has only been there a year.. After 10 years together.

Anyway So I thought now would be a perfect time to buy some more GE before the split of finances! Haha

So I have a decent system already.

Triton 1s for front
Supercenter xxl for centre
Supersat 3 for rears.

The question I have is I want to get more out of the surrounds and maybe turn it into a 7.1

So I have a few questions I want answers from anyone and especially the moderator.

1) I believe in the past the moderator says the Supersat 3 are perfect for surrounds and anything more is kind of overkill. (or something to that affect. Please excuse me if I got that wrong, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.)

Does that still stand?

I am thinking of going for Triton 5s or Triton 3+ or 2+ for rears.

2)"Would having the plus model be worth it or am I better off getting a cheaper 2 or 3 non plus version?

3)I was thinking 3 or 2 as I will have an additional sub in the back. Would this make much difference in low frequency output?

4) However I can pick up the t5s for real cheap. Will this do?

5) should I be considering the supersub xxl instead for bass or does the t1s suffice and would it be redundant?

Basically how much more performance can I expect out of having better rears and keeping the Supersat 3 to turn it into a 7.1 instead of 5.1?

Anyone have experience upgrading from the Supersat 3 to something higher?

Thanks in advance for your advice here.

Steve

Hi, Steveo

Sorry to hear that you've had a tough year. Hang in there! Keep remembering that you're worth it, just as we all are.

You're asking great questions, and we all will wait for the Moderator Dude's input, as he has set up, and listened to, more GEt speaker options than we can probably "shake a stick at".

So, given that, here's my input on my more limited experience. I started out with Invisa 525's as ceiling surrounds, at 80 HZ crossover. When the T1's came out and I got a pair, I had a choice about what to do with the then front T2's. I couldn't bear to part with them, so I moved them to surrounds, retired the Invisa's from that duty, and extended LFE to the now rear T2's. I was kind of blown away at what the T2's did to expand the surround experience! Action movies like Fury just took on a new dimension... tanks firing in back, on the T2's, just exploded sound wise. I do accept that at some HZ (80?), bass gets pretty non directional, but all I really know is that the T2's, as surrounds just exploded the LFE bass in movies, and added gobs to listening to Dolby surround music.

As background, I am a bass head, and want it distributed where the action is. Supersats are great speakers, (crossed at 100 or 120 HZ), and with a great sub with the same sonic voicing (GEt subs), in the rear/surround position, can do a great job keeping the surround channels an active part of the HT experience.

So, it's a question of how best to spend your GEt bucks. If I were building a system again and had Supersats as surrounds, I have NO doubt a SSXXL in a rear position would pair perfectly with those speakers and keep me just as happy sonically. So, how much bass do you want? T2+'s or a SSXXL will add lots!!! If you really like the bass experience from the T1's and want to add more surround sound, then T5's are a great option. Can you audition some of your options? You'll love ANY additions to your GEt family of speakers.

Keep at it! We'll all wait for Moderator Dude to weigh in.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Steveo,

Sorry to hear about your divorce. I think it's going around. As Rick said, hang in there.

Regarding your GET setup questions, when GET does trade shows and really wants to provide shock and awe, they don't use SSAT speakers. I believe their go to setup was the T1s and SCXXL up front and the T2s in the rear, as Rick is fortunate enough to have. That should say something. A setup I would like to hear would be the T1s and SCXXL up front with a pair of T5s and a SSXXL directly behind your PLP!

In the end, I don't think there is a wrong way to go. GET makes great sounding gear and their speakers are voiced very similarly. As long as you have the proper amplification, I always prefer a full range speaker over a lifestyle speaker. I'll be curious to hear Moderator Dudes input f he can break away from the "BIG" project. ;) Just a couple of weeks to go.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Thanks guys for the well wishes and responses! Looking forward to hearing moderator dudes response.

Who knows maybe this big project is a fully active Triton 0 with amplification to all drivers not just the subs. Then it will be an easy decision and I can throw the t1s as rears haha.

Very keen to hear the big news... Anyone else feel free to chime in
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Hey
Steve, welcome back!
I want to add my best wishes during a tough time, been there, got the T-shirt. I feel for you! YES, hang in there and get your system the way YOU want it, now is a golden opportunity.
I have a very understanding wife and have been able to build the system I want. I have the T Ones in the front, with a SC X center, moved the T 2s to the surrounds and T 3s to rear surrounds. There is also a FF 5 sub back there. Now I have surround sound AND surround BASS, YEAH!!!!!
I had T 7s on the sides and in the rear before, but with the Twos and Threes sharing the bass load on movies, the whole place can rock if I am not careful. (Yes, I am a bass head like Bro Rick!)
As has been said (all GREAT advise above), you really cannot go wrong. It just depends on what your budget is and how much room you have. The more and larger GEt speakers the better!!!
I hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Hi,

In Answer to your questions:

1) Perfect in that they work perfectly in that role when properly configured, yes; and most popular due to "fit" for most people's home theaters.

2) Yes.

3) The Two plays much louder, but not lower.

4) Triton Five plus a couple subs is a very hot setup if you have the space.

5) Bass is like horsepower, everybody has their own idea about what's "enough".

6) (You didn't give it a number, but it looked like a question) 7.1 vs. 5.1, not a big deal for most rooms for most people. I know many of the forum members have discussed their preference for more full range (larger) speakers for rears, I'll let them respond on that one.

Hope this helps.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Better rears with sub or no sub?