question-circle Question for TREF and Triton 1.r owners

• Timecop's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Timecop Posted 9 months 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by Timecop. info_outline
I have a question for TREF and T1.r owners: Has anyone removed the socks on the front and sides?

Context: Long-time triton two owner, and as I’ve replaced the amps four times so far - I’m pretty comfortable working on these speakers (kudos to GE service & parts though). At one point I fully removed the socks and decided that I preferred the look, even if the shell is unfinished.

Enter the recent closeout pricing on T1.r’s - so I bought a pair (delivery TBD). I’m pretty sure they have steel grills on the front & sides, and sans sock would look similar to the T66 and super-sub series. Disclaimer: yes, I understand they are voiced with the intention of having the sock in place, no this stipulation doesn’t bother me.

So, has anyone removed the socks but continued to run their TREFs or T1.r’s with grills?
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 9 months 3 weeks ago
Hi Timecop, You can certainly remove the grilles used on the Triton Reference and Triton One.Rs without any issues. Please contact GoldenEar's customer service group. They can email you a copy of the instructions for how to do this. You can reach them at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 1-949-800-1805 (M-F 9-5:30 Eastern Time). Happy Listening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Timecop

• Timecop's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 9 months 2 weeks ago
Thanks - I did as you suggested, and the procedure was simple to follow.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 months 2 weeks ago
Time Cop: did they sound better or worse with the grill removed?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 months 1 week ago
Chet sent me an email on how to remove the grilles on the TRefs...way to much work. Going through Chemo right now and have lost 20 lbs in 25 days. Physically...No. I've lived with with the TRefs since August 2017 with the grilles on...on they will stay. Great sounding speakers.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 9 months 3 days ago

Chet sent me an email on how to remove the grilles on the TRefs...way to much work. Going through Chemo right now and have lost 20 lbs in 25 days. Physically...No. I've lived with with the TRefs since August 2017 with the grilles on...on they will stay. Great sounding speakers.

I had to remove the TRef grill on both speakers at one point to replace blown tweeters. It's doable. Would have been a better design though had the front grills been magnetically affixed, like the side passive radiator covers. That would also have made it easier to tweak the sound (to your preference whether you like it better on or off while listening) and also protect them when needed (by leaving the grills on).
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Question for TREF and Triton 1.r owners