file SuperSat Speaker Placement

• MidVids's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
MidVids Posted 12 years 10 months ago
My system is sitting here on the floor in boxes (2x50's, 2x30's, 1xForceField4). As I contemplate the installation I have a few questions. I'm performing a fireplace mount of my 60" plasma which will be tilted down. Should I also tilt the L&R front speakers? The bottom of the speakers will be ~50" from the floor. The dealer indicated it wouldn't be necessary but I want to confirm. If so, what is the best method to use? The surrounds will be either wall or ceiling mounted. The couch is right against the back wall so if ceiling mounted they should be on either side of the couch pointing straight down? If wall mounted either side pointing straight ahead? Thanks for your help before I start drilling holes :) .
Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 12 years 10 months ago
Hi -

Thanks for your purchase. Regarding your questions, first, the middle of the front L/R speakers should be at about ear level (when seated) so if they are being installed considerable higher on the wall than this they should be tilted down and aimed at the seated ear level. Horizontal center speaker should also be at ear level or aimed down. From your description it is hard to say if tilt down would be necessary since the distance from the speakers will determine this need.

Regarding surround speakers, I would not suggest the ceiling. Side wall or rear wall is best, higher up flat on the wall is OK (and preferred by many). For Rear wall, point towards the front, for side wall installations, point toward the listener (couch).

Hope this helps.

MidVids Posted 12 years 9 months ago
Thanks Karma - I've now mounted my 60" plasma above the fireplace and have played with front speaker positions. While I understand that they should be at ear height it just doesn't pass the WAF to have then on either side of the fireplace instead of either side of the TV. So they will have to go higher and be tilted down. The question now is what is the best way to perform this.
How much to the Sat 50's weigh?
Do both mounting bolt holes have to be used if I go that route or just one? Top or bottom?
I'm hoping that one of your engineers have some solutions!
Thanks
Scott

Moderator Posted 12 years 9 months ago
Easy enough and pretty common - SuperSat-50's weigh under 8 pounds each (that aerospace aluminum is very light stuff, and neodymium magnets are a tenth the weight of ferite magnets). Use the top mounting hole and a universal swivel mount bracket of your choosing appropriate for this weight. The mounting hole on the back is a 1/4-20 thread, a common option on most of the brackets.

MidVids Posted 12 years 9 months ago
Karma - it appears that to get the angle I want it would be necessary to use the bottom bolt. Is that acceptable?
Thanks
Scott

Moderator Posted 12 years 9 months ago
Sure - sounds like you are mounting them higher than I imagined.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperCinema Systems SuperSat Speaker Placement