question-circle Supersat 3 & 50 as Atmos in Horizontal Position

• Finkdigital's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Finkdigital Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago
Hi All, I have a pair of SuperSat 3 and a pair of Super Sat 50. I'd like to use them on the ceiling as Atmos speakers but that means orienting them horizontally (and pointed at the seats). These are not the "C" center models.

Would mounting them horizontally mean a reduced width sweet spot? I'd like to cover a width of about 5/6 seats.

I opened up a SuperSat 3 to see about turning the tweeter sideways but after removing the bolts, I found that the tweeter is epoxied in all the way around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago
Hi Finkdigital, In this application, the SuperSat 3C or SuperSat 50C would be ideal. The tweeter used in the SuperSat 3C (and SuperSat 50C) is rotated 90 degrees from the orientation of the tweeter used in the SuperSat 3 and SuperSat 50 (and since these tweeters are glued to the front baffle, they're not easy to rotate).

When used horizontally, the dispersion of the tweeter used in the SuperSat 3C and SuperSat 50C is broader "side to side" than "front to back" or "top to bottom". When using the "regular" SuperSat 3 or SuperSat 50 horizontally, the dispersion pattern of the tweeter would be better "front to back" - but not as wide "side to side". This would allow the middle seats in the front and back rows of your listening area to hear "better highs" than the far left and far right seats in your listening area. Off the record, the dispersion of the correctly "rotated tweeter" used in the SuperSat 3C and SuperSat 50C is not that different from the "incorrectly rotated" tweeter used in the regular SuperSat 3 SuperSat 50. When used as Atmos speakers, the difference in sound quality between the SuperSat 3C/50C and the SuperSat 3/50 would be on the subtle side, and some listeners might not hear the difference. Happy Listening!

• Finkdigital's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
Finkdigital Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago
Great info- thanks very much!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Supersat 3 & 50 as Atmos in Horizontal Position