question-circle Question for Other GE Forum Members Who Own Cambridge Audio Gear

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: spelling info_outline
Hi Gang,

Here is an update regarding my unfortunate situation with my Cambridge 851A Amplifier. The problem remains and frequently occurs when I turn the unit on each morning. So far, I can correct the situation by applying signal to the right channel only, using a test signal. Generally, the issue stays corrected throughout my listening session, but occasionally the amp reverts to the problem state. When that happens, I apply the corrective action again.

I have now talked to Audio Advice in Raleigh. Audio Advice is a high-end audio dealer who sells this Cambridge unit. They were interested and concerned to learn about my three unit failures. However, they do not have any local repair options.

I am unwilling to entrust this issue to any repair facility, unless I can work with them directly to demonstrate the problem. In my opinion, Cambridge's factory-authorized facility in New Jersey would be unlikely to correctly diagnose the problem on their own and I am certainly not willing to make a road trip from Raleigh to New Jersey to make sure they recognize the problem.

So, I will continue to live with the problem and apply my corrective actions so long as they are successful. It is a most unfortunate situation - both tor me and for Cambridge's reputation.

Happy Listening to All,,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 8 months ago
Hi Gang,

Yesterday, I retired my Cambridge 851A from service in my audio system. The right-channel volume issue I described in my OP in this thread has finally become a continuing problem - occurring almost every time I turn the unit on and, frequently, at random while using the unit. My corrective actions did not work yesterday - even after repeated attempts. So, I made the reluctant but necessary decision to remove the 851A from service.

I plan to check once again with both Crutchfield and Audio Advice regarding repair options. I am not going to ship the unit to Cambridge's contract service center in New Jersey, for the reasons I stated in an earlier post in this thread.

Since my last post in this thread, I have done some web research and discovered that a number of people have reported issues similar to mine with their Cambridge 851A amplifiers. I have had extensive email exchanges with Cambridge's "tech support" group in England on this issue, with no useful results. Cambridge seems to be unconcerned about my multiple-failure experience. Very well - having owned three of these units in 3.5 years and having had all of them fail, I have no intention of ever purchasing another Cambridge device.

Bottom line may turn out to be that I wasted $1800.00 on this device.

Art

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 8 months ago
Hi Gang,

I trust you all will find this post amusing. After "retiring" my 851A, I contacted both Audio Advice and Crutchfield. I learned that, in today's world, once a unit has passed out of it's warranty period, it essentially lives in "no man's land". Sparing you all the gory details, what this means is that my Cambridge 851A is most likely not serviceable, unless I am willing to ship it to a service center hundreds of miles away - which I am unwilling to do.

So, I returned it to service in my music setup. I will just put up with the problem unless the 851A fails completely. I returned it to service because the audio is noticeably superior with the 851A driving my Triton Ones, when the 851A ia performing properly.

If I reach a point where I cannot make the 851A perform correctly, I will replace it with another branded stereo amplifier. Until that point, I will continue to work with the 851A to provide balanced stereo signals to my Triton Ones.

Such is life.

Happy Listening to everybody.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• andyclev's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
andyclev Posted 1 year 6 months ago
Hello everyone. Just to share my Cambridge Audio issues.

Have a gorgeous albeit old by today's standards Azur 751R V2 in a 5.1 setup with the 2 rear surrounds in Zone 2 (Patio) and the right surround channels went soft on volume while left channels increased, likely proportionally (did not SPL them).

At first I tweaked the db settings to "balance" them but it got worse and then migrated to the Front Right channel.

Then all right channels went silent, only left channels working, at much higher volume.

CA said to send to Panurgy, but reviews were not to my liking. Local technician at dealer that sells CA products was "retiring" and they would not look at my unit because bought through someone else that is no longer around.

I now have it being diagnosed and hope it's something small but some are telling me that it's likely the DSP chip (Texas Instruents had a bad batch that went bad in the date range of my unit, 2014) and CA no longer has the parts, no longer has the boards, and it might became a doorstop.

I will report back after the local tech takes a look at it.

A $3k unit becoming a doorstop is unacceptable by any standards. I have an old Yamaha from 1996 that works just fine!

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 1 year 6 months ago
Despite my earlier posts regarding issues with Cambridge Audio devices, I am still driving my audio system with two Cambridge units. I employ an ARCAM AVR10 as my primary 4.0 unit and a Cambridge CXR120 as a secondary 4.0 unit. I have had some quirky intermittent issues with the CXR120, but, so far, no issues with the AVR10. Despite the issues, I am still a fan of the "Cambridge Sound".

I have a quirky audio setup, but one which suits my listening preferences. I employ 4 subs which I drive directly with line-level audio. I use line-level controllers to manage the subs.

So long as the two Cambridge units continue to perform to an acceptable-to-me level;, I will continue to use them. For anyone considering Cambridge, I recommend the ARCAM line - more expensive, but seemingly better reliability and more versatile.

Multi-channel audio for video sources is of no concern to me. I use a single center channel speaker driven by an old Sony STR-DE 885 Receiver to provide controllable dialogue for the British Mysteries we watch - otherwise, TV for me is confined to watching college and some pro football.

Roll Tide and Happy Listening,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Question for Other GE Forum Members Who Own Cambridge Audio Gear