question-circle Presence of "Digital Noise"???

• Bwaze's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Bwaze Posted 6 years 6 days ago
Last edit: 6 years 6 days ago by Bwaze. info_outline
Maybe the albums have high noise recorded? I know some albums have quite a lot of background noise included from various sources.

You could check this by creating a. vaw or flac file and open it in Audacity:

www.audacityteam.org

It's a free audio edit software. You can select the part of the song with "noisy silence" and analyze it with "Plot spectrum" tool: manual.audacityteam.org/man/plot_spectrum.html

You can then compare the plot with the really silent albums, the difference should be visible on the plot if the noise is recorded on the album.
"Pezzer Ritter Wenne Chnecht!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 5 days ago
Hi Bwaze,

Thanks for chiming in and for your suggestion. I understand the approach you recommend to chase down the source of the noise. I am just not interested enough in chasing this issue further to perform the analysis you have suggested. It would not surprise me to find that certain CDs contain a bit of background noise (venue cooling system fans, etc.). I have a recording of Rhapsody in Blue in which cooling system noise is clearly audible.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 4 days ago
Art,

I have heard a kind of white noise on many recordings, both from disc and via flac. I have some Columbia Bernstein NY Phil recordings from the early 60s where I can hear what I think is air conditioning (HVAC) noise. On one recording (Grofe Grand Canyon Suite) The recording engineer starts with a high level at the beginning of the piece, trying to capture the very quiet passage at the beginning. Later, when the piece gets louder, the engineer reduces the level and I can hear the noise floor drop. That may have been a combination of tape hiss and HVAC, but I'm HVAC is a big part of it.

I have heard what I think is HVAC noise on newer digital recordings too. Not all halls are dead quiet. It could even be traffic noise leaking through the walls. When Decca recorded the Montreal Symphony with Dutoit (DDD), they blocked traffic on the street outside the church recording venue to reduce the noise, so this kind of noise is a possibility. We live in a noisy world that we tend to tune out most of the time. But it's still there. I have used the spectrum analyzer app on my smartphone and have been amazed at the level of noise that is present but I don't notice.

Another possible source is microphone noise. All modern recordings have multiple microphones in use, all going into a mixing system that could have its own noise. The possibilities are pretty much endless, and I'll bet recording engineers tear their hair out trying to get this down to acceptable levels.

Bottom line is I've heard variable kinds of noise on both ADD and DDD, and not on all recordings. It's not a fault with my system, because the noise sounds different on different recordings.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 3 days ago
Hi Charlie,

I think your experience closely matches mine and I'll bet we're hearing the same sorts of random background noises. In my case, until I noticed the noise on that first recording, I was simply not aware of its presence. But, once heard, then I began to wonder what it was and where it came from.

My curiosity is essentially satisfied now - especially since I do not suspect flaws to be present in my equipment.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

• mondaraguila's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
mondaraguila Posted 4 years 9 months ago
You can wear an earplug and enjoy music.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 9 months ago
Good suggestion, except that I am not a fan of either earphones or earplugs.

Thanks

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Presence of "Digital Noise"???