file Minimalist Room

• taligent's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
taligent Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Hey guys,

So looking for some advise on what GoldenEar products to purchase. This is the room (dining):
imgur.com/6kJ3w2S

The couch needs to be up against the wall so it makes the surround sound setup a bit awkward.
The TV is wall mounted with no cabinet so everything has to be in wall or in ceiling.

Not sure what I should go for:

- 5x Invisa HTR 7000
- 3x Invisa HTR 7000 + 2x Invisa MPX
- 1x Supercinema 3D Array XL + 2x Invisa HTR 7000/MPX

Is the room too small for Atmos ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Hey taligent,

Welcome!

The digram is useful, but one thing that would be helpful to know is, what is the height of your ceiling? I think this would have the biggest impact on whether or not Atmos would work in that room.

My gut reaction says for your surrounds you'd probably want the in-ceiling speakers because your sofa is right up against the back wall. I think if you went with the MPX, there wouldn't be enough room for the sound to diffuse before it gets to your ear causing what's called 'hot spotting.'

For your front speakers, one thing that may impact recommendations is where do you plan to place your subwoofer(s) in the room? Keep in mind that the SuperCinema Array has a much higher crossover than the HTR 7000s; ~120hz (SuperCinema) vs ~80hz (HTR 7000)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Taligent,

As Dark has said, welcome! Sounds like you're planning a nice setup. While I don't have any direct feedback at this point, I can offer a few thoughts on the matter. All suggestions aside, it would be best for you to listen to the speakers you are considering first hand before making a purchase. The in-wall/ceiling speakers may be hard to demo, though. Dark has provided some great input here already but I'll add my additional .02.

I think the HTR-7000s would be better up front taking in mind ceiling height and distance to you PLP. The 7000s are the model GET uses for their trade show demos. That speakers volumes to me.

I think Dark is correct, ceiling speakers are probably going to be your best bet for surrounds and that will make Atmos pretty challenging. If you're GET dealer has a consultation option, it would probably be best to get them in to have a look. My best guess based on what we see in the diagram would be 5 channels based on the HTR-7000s. It may be possible to use the 7000s as surrounds and mount another pair of speakers directly overhead for Atmos. As Dark has said, a lot of this will depend on ceiling height.

Whatever you decide, please check back and let us know how it went and how things sound. We haven't received a lot of feedback on this type of setup and I suspect many visitors would benefit from your experience. Good luck and happy hunting.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• taligent's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
taligent Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Thanks for the responses guys :)

The ceiling is a pretty standard flat roof (9.2 feet). Thinking about putting a sub or two on either side of the sofa ?

So would the idea be to face the 7000s to the back of the wall and try and angle it to reflect off behind people's heads ?

The big issue I have is that I am in Australia and there isn't a dealer in the same city who stocks any of these so going to be difficult to get a consultant out. Still asking around though !
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Subs in the back of the room are not ideal, and not a good idea if using the 3D Array with its higher crossover point.

Although reflecting the sound off the back wall will work, it will create a diffuse sound field which is not ideal for discrete multi-channel playback of today's source material. I would suggest either HTR 7000 in the ceiling left and right of the sofa, pointed toward the center of the room. If doing Atmos, I would suggest MPX on the back wall, spread as far apart as the wall behind allows (which looks like basically couch width) at slightly above ear height.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Minimalist Room