file SETUP WITH EMOTIVA RMC-1L

• PENNSTATEMIKE's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
PENNSTATEMIKE Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Just got a new Emotiva RMC-1L processor and XPA -5 Gen3 power amp. The processor does not have a dedicated LFE output but instead they suggest using the "Center Sub" and an XLR to RCA Y connector to feed bass to the speakers - Triton 2s.

Right now I am just hooked up normally with speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.

My question is three fold:
1 - should I run a dedicated LFE line to the speakers with a sub woofer cable
2 - if I do should i disconnect the speaker wires and run only the LFE? or
3 - should I keep the existing speaker wire connection and also use the subwoofer cable

I have not yet done any room correction. I'm waiting for a new 4 channel amp for some Atmos speakers and then plan on doing correction with Dirac.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Hi PENNSTATEMIKE, Using the LFE input on the Triton Two towers is truly an optional connection method. It's not necessary for the towers to properly play bass. Maybe, I can explain a bit.

First, the amplifier built-into the Triton Two tower is designed to combine or sum together any bass it receives from the speaker wire connections with any bass it receives from the LFE input. Basically, the amplifier built-into the Triton Two is designed to play any - and all bass that's sent to the tower. (Specifically, the bass signal the tower receives through the speaker wire connection passes through the tower’s built-in crossover network – which is set to 150hz, and the bass signal the tower receives through the LFE input bypasses the tower’s internal crossover network. We’re relying on the main receiver/processor to perform the crossover function for the bass sent through the LFE connection.)

When using the LFE input, in a real sense, you're sending the towers two bass signals. You're sending the towers bass from the regular left and right speaker wire connections as well as bass from the LFE cable.

If you connect an LFE cable to the towers, you'll still need to connect the regular speaker wires (so the midrange and tweeter section of your towers will still play), however, the towers will then play both the bass they receive through the speaker wires as well as the bass they receive through the LFE cable. In this instance, I'd recommend setting your processor to large front speakers - and subwoofer to "on" or "yes". Ultimately, you'll have more control of the bass produced by your towers if you connect an LFE cable to them. (Your processor will normally have various controls for its subwoofer output - like the crossover frequency and output level.)

If, however, you did not connect an LFE cable to the towers, but set your processor to large front speaker, and no subwoofer, the towers will still receive the full bass from your system - right through the regular speaker wires. Your processor would normally redirect the bass that would have been sent through its subwoofer output (or LFE output) to the large front speakers. The towers will still work well when they're connected with speaker wires only (and your processor is set to large front speakers and no subwoofer). Happy Listening!

• PENNSTATEMIKE's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
PENNSTATEMIKE Posted 2 years 4 months ago
If I configure with both the LFE and speaker wires/banana plugs will the subwoofer show up when I use room correction. Right now it does not. I'm currently set up with Audessey but will using Dirac when all is finished.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Hi PENNSTATEMIKE, Yes. When connecting a separate LFE cable to the Triton Two towers, your processor/receiver will see the subwoofer section of these towers as a separate subwoofer. Happy Listening!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series SETUP WITH EMOTIVA RMC-1L