file Forcefield 30 DSP delay

• pezpiruleta's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
pezpiruleta Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Hi,

I have recently purchased the Goldenear Forcefield 30 I am very happy with it!
I am in the process of integrating it with the main speakers and I would like to know if you can provide me the internal delay (amp + dsp processing) in milliseconds .

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

Hi,

I have recently purchased the Goldenear Forcefield 30 I am very happy with it!
I am in the process of integrating it with the main speakers and I would like to know if you can provide me the internal delay (amp + dsp processing) in milliseconds .

Thanks in advance

Hi pezpiruleta.

Welcome to the GoldenEar forum! :)

I'm not sure I understand your question. Each speaker has a "delay" in terms of it's distance from you and the speed of sound, which itself is a variable of sorts based on environmental factors. You can google it. Here is a website that has a calculator of sorts.
calculator.academy/speaker-delay-calculator/

If you truly mean the internal delay of the DSP processor in your new ForceField subwoofer, I believe that information would be proprietary. DSP to my understanding converts the analog signal to digital, "cleans it up" (again proprietary what exactly GE is doing, but in your case their literature indicates " ...optimize frequency response, minimize distortion and prevent damage from overdriving) and then converts it back to analog. Put another way, there's nothing for you to hear in terms of "processing time" or any "delay".

Maybe someone else (Moderator or someone who has the Forcefield 30) can provide you with a better response.

Personally I would hook it up per the manuals instructions and then decide if anything needs adjustment.

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Hi pezpiruleta, The amplifier and DSP processing used in the ForceField 30 has a delay of under 2 milliseconds.

With a delay under 2 milliseconds, in almost all setups - I would recommend ignoring this delay. The very fast DSP used in the ForceField 30 normally makes bass timing issues moot. If possible, I would, however, recommend placing the subwoofer close to the main speakers. This would provide the best coherency of the sound field produced by your system. Happy Listening!

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Okay, so I learned something new here. Thank you both for educating me!

I found this article which I think summarizes the topic at hand
gearsupply.com/blog/speaker-delay/

If memory serves this is one of Wilson's speakers claim to fame, having to do with the time alignment of the drivers.

Great question, pezpiruleta. I can understand now why you may have a concern in this regard.

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support ForceField Subs Forcefield 30 DSP delay