file SS 50’s set to large?

• fred1942's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 57
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fred1942 Posted 4 years 9 months ago
I have recently purchased GE Triton One. R’s. I moved my Triton Two’s to rear surround. My side surrounds are SS 50’s with HTR 7000 in ceiling. I would like to set my Two’s to large, but my Marantz 8802a will not give me this option. If the side surrounds are set to small, then the rears must be set to small. I can set to 50’s to large to be able to set the Two’s to large. If I do this will I be at risk of causing damage to the 50’s?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 9 months ago
Ideally, the 50s should be set to 100-120 (ish) Hz, but if they're set to large and you don't play them too hard they should be fine.

Or, will the 8802A allow you to select the crossover frequency for the side or rear surrounds? If so, can you set the T2 to small but use a super-low crossover frequency, maybe about 40 Hz or so? That should still give you great sound and crossover adjustments for the SS50s.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 9 months ago
Hi Fred

That’s kind of strange that you have to set your surrounds to large in order for your pre to allow you to set your rear surrounds to large also. Guess they assume you’ll place the most capable speakers in surround positions?

First, yes, I’d be concerned about setting SS 50’s to large. They aren’t designed to play full range sound and could have driver damage if driven too hard.

I would look for other three options first:leave the rear surrounds as small with a low 40 HZ crossover and LFE connected, check with Marantz if there is a work around to set the rear surrounds as large even with the surrounds (SS 50’s) as small, or reroute the speaker outs from the amps so that the surround channel content goes to the large rear surrounds and the rear surround content goes to the small surrounds.

I guess I’d favor rear surrounds set as small, 40 HZ crossover if the other options don’t work out, but I wouldn’t want to push the SS 50’s to perform as large speakers. I really don’t think you’ll get the best out of that speaker array doing that.

Just my opinion.

Keep at it! There’s a set up option there that will make your system just sing!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• fred1942's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 57
fred1942 Posted 4 years 9 months ago
Rick, I talked to Marantz. The only way I can set my rears to large is to also set the surrounds to large. No work around. So, I set the rears to small with 40 crossover. I have some M&K speakers , both 150’s and 750’s. Maybe I could use one of them as surrounds set to large. Or, maybe I can find some used GE Triton 5’s or 7’s for surrounds. Not sure about timbre matching with the M&K’s, but perhaps it does not make much difference for surrounds. Anyway, I am really enjoying my theater. Sounds great. Still trying to send pictures in GE forum to no avail.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 9 months ago
I still have no answer why image or file uploads are an issue. I will keep bugging the IT folks.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 9 months ago

fred1942 wrote: Rick, I talked to Marantz. The only way I can set my rears to large is to also set the surrounds to large. No work around. So, I set the rears to small with 40 crossover. I have some M&K speakers , both 150’s and 750’s. Maybe I could use one of them as surrounds set to large. Or, maybe I can find some used GE Triton 5’s or 7’s for surrounds. Not sure about timbre matching with the M&K’s, but perhaps it does not make much difference for surrounds. Anyway, I am really enjoying my theater. Sounds great. Still trying to send pictures in GE forum to no avail.

Hey Fred

I'm glad, and not overly surprised, that your system sounds great with the SS 50's set as small and the T2's as small with a low 40 HZ crossover. :) That should let the SS 50's do their thing as designed, and get the best you can of the bass performance the T2's have to offer.

Yes, T5's or 7's could give you a tick up from the surrounds and let you set both surrounds and and rear surround T2's to large, but if you really like what you're hearing now, maybe it could be an idea for later?

Re trying other brand speakers at the surrounds to set as large, I too would be concerned with timbre matching. The seamless effect of an all Goldenear speaker sound field is, for me, a big piece of the GEt "magic". Can't tell what speakers are where or which are contributing what piece, it's all just so real and immersive.

You have made a huge leap with new T1.R's and another big jump in bass with the T2's as rear surrounds. Enjoy! Let us know what you're playing and how it sounds!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back