file I can't get no satisfaction

• av freak's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
av freak Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi, I'm using GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C for some time and while those speakers are nice for HT purpose, with stereo setup, like Mick Jagger used to say I can't get no satisfaction.

My living room is 40 m2 and 2,6 m high. Two SuperSat 60 speakers and ForceField 5 sub are connected to Marantz SR7009 receiver.
I have tried without and with Audissey room correction and don't get me wrong - sound is really nice, but what is missing is that punch in the chest on higher listening levels.
Not to forget, I have tried with crossover sets on 100, 120, 150... Hz and also tried with two subs.

So, please tell me is it even possible to get that with SS60 and FF5 at all (maybe using stronger power amp)?

P.S. If the solution is bigger speakers, please make SuperSat 75 or 80 and I will be your first buyer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hello A V Freak,
You have a reasonably large room and small speakers. Even with two subs, they will have to be cranked up to feel the music hitting your chest. And that would only be the bass notes.
The SuperSats are "lifestyle" speakers made to keep the WAF high, by not taking up much room. They will not play all that loud, especially without more clean amp power.
You can play two ForceField 5s, that will help, you can get more clean amp power, that will help, and/or you can get larger speakers. The Aons will give a little more and the Triton towers will give you what you NEED!!!!!
Especially the ones with the built in subs, the Ones, or 2s or 3s.
I hope this helps, have fun with the music, movies and the hobby.
Happy Listening/Watching,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, av freak

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 3 months ago
I don't think the SS60/FF5 combo is gonna give you the slam in the chest you're after...I don't believe they were designed to be "Rock Concert" speakers. The Aon 2 or Aon 3 paired with 2 FF5's would be a much better setup, and possibly give you that "kick in the teeth" feeling you're after.
Moderator wrote:
Aon 2s just won runner up for Stereophiles Speaker of the Year - winner was a tie with a $38,000+ and $40,000+ pair. Hah. Aon 2s are $800/pair. With a pair of Forcefield 5s in a well calibrated system I think it would be better than just about anything you can get for under $5K (that would be Triton Ones, of course).

As for GE floostanders, the Triton 1's & 2's will also give you some serious jammin bass. If the source content is well recorded, you can literally pressurize a room with the T1's & 2's.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, av freak

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 9 years 3 months ago
I have heard setups with SuperSats that were killer. It is, however, a balancing act to get locations right and the crossover and sub levels to play nice together. Far easier with more full range speakers like Aons, as mentioned, that are happy with a (typical) 80 Hz crossover to the sub. With the SuperSats wanting 100, 120, or even higher, it is more challenging to get all the pieces blended well ... but it can be done with pretty spectacular results. I heard a 7.1 SuperSat 50 (LCR)/SuperSat 3 (4 ea)/ForceField 4 (2 ea) system setup around a 110" screen (50's were wall mounted above and to each side) that was absolutely amazing. With the lights out and the movie playing one could easily think it was a Triton setup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, av freak

• av freak's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
av freak Posted 9 years 3 months ago
@Wayne and anthem - thanks guys, I was afraid that I will get that answer. Unfortunately, On-Wall speakers are my only option :(

@Moderator - my setup really sounds good with movies. Stereo is also good for 95% of the time and that 5% of the time is my problem.
For the start I will go with power amp for the front speakers so please tell me what model will you recommend (I know what stands in the manual but don't want to burn my speakers)?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 9 years 3 months ago
No worries on over-powering, typically not a problem with proper bass management, but I wouldn't bother getting anything over 250 watts/channel, and half that a fine top limit too. LOW power is more typically the problem in terms of damaging speakers.

I will let the forum members suggest electronics brands and models for you to consider.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review SuperSat Series I can't get no satisfaction