file From regret to elation - my 2 week GoldenEar Journey.

• Kib's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Kib Posted 3 years 2 months ago
Hi all,

I got my pair of Triton 2+'s a couple of weeks back, I live in India and didn't get to audition them before a purchase. I went by the rave reviews. With taxes and shipping to India, they were very expensive. Me and my kid love to listen to music, I played guitar in collage and want my kids to pick up music too, so I piled up cash for a pair and pulled the trigger without listening to them at all!

I was very excited when they came in. I had the whole system setup - I run them directly from a Denon X3700H receiver. The very first minute of running them, I was crust fallen. They were not a very big step up from my current Boston Acoustics Mid Fi system. In fact they were worst. They were very bright and not refined at all, bass was loud but muddy. I should have gone for a pair of ML electrostats which was my other choice!! Didn't get what the hype was about. I began to wonder - maybe Sandy being an old timer in the audio world had the audio reviewers in his pocket!! There was no option to return them, so I began looking at warm Amps to hopefully make them bearable, dredging the cost.

I had serious buyers regret, I tried different placement - maybe my 13/24 feet room was the problem. I had to place them in the corners with only one foot to the side wall and 7 inches to the rear wall due to a door near the speakers. I didn't believe GE and Sandy, when he said the tritons need break in. With fingers crossed, I gave break in a try. I played them for hours every day, at full volume if no one is home. I couldn't even be in the room when they were playing loud, they were harsh as F. For the past couple of days, they sounded better and better. And today, I set them up like it says in the manual - a listening triangle, and sat down for a proper listen after about 30 hours of break in. MY GOD, what a difference it made! I finally understand the meaning of the word 'Sound Stage'. Every song, I am transported to a new room with different acoustics and dampening and a different arrangement of instruments in very distinct places. I didnt even notice the total wall of sound they were giving out before. But once you experience this, its hard to unsee it. Its CRAZY that I have never experienced this before in all my years. Its spooky. I am fully, and I mean FULLY satisfied. These are CRAZY good speakers.

This only got better with Room Correction and the Audyssey app! I twerked the sound using the app to tone down the highs.

The bass integration, the crystal clear clarity (maybe will smooth out even more with time, I don't care any more) and this insane diorama of sound - this is a very special pair. Maybe its normal for you guys, but it was mind blowing from me. I just got lost for 6 hours listening to a fantastic wall of sound! Cant wait to try them tomorrow. Highly recommend Goldenear. To the new owners of GE, I say this - BREAK THEM IN BEFORE SHIPPING THEM to your customers. It will be worth it. I am sure most of the non-professional negative reviews of the Tritons you see on the web are ONLY because the speakers are not broken in.

Cheers!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, Kruno1960, LUNASDAD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• roni44's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 14
roni44 Posted 3 years 2 months ago
I have both Triton 2 (new old stock, like you took a few weeks to broke them in) and Martin Logan EM ESL. Both are great speakers, but I am trying to upgrade to 2+ if I can find one locally.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 3 years 1 month ago
Kib,

Glad to hearing you are enjoying your new speakers and stuck with them to get them broken in and sounding sweet. Like many products in this hobby, they do take some time to break in and really open up.

Thanks again, enjoy!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 3 years 1 month ago
Roni44,

Unfortunately, as it sounds like you are finding, the Triton Two+ are currently back ordered. COVID has wrecked havoc on manufacturing lead times but we are working to replenish as soon as we can.

• roni44's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 14
roni44 Posted 3 years 1 month ago

Moderator wrote: Roni44,

Unfortunately, as it sounds like you are finding, the Triton Two+ are currently back ordered. COVID has wrecked havoc on manufacturing lead times but we are working to replenish as soon as we can.

Hi Moderator,

A very close source from AudioQuest told me there is new representative in my region (Taiwan) and I should able to test drive updated Triton models soon.

• Kruno1960's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
Kruno1960 Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Greeting!
Congratulations on Triton 2+! Nice photo of great speakers.
Have you thought about any woolen carpet in the room? I believe that it would significantly reduce unwanted acoustics ...
Kruno

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review Triton Series From regret to elation - my 2 week GoldenEar Journey.