file Novice needs help with Home Theater

• Jeff's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Jeff Posted 9 years 10 months ago
I am mildly new to home theater, but have been doing a great deal of reading. I have built a new home with a dedicated theater room, now all I need to do is buy speakers, buy a new A/V, a new TV and install everything.

A couple things about the room. It is 17x14 with 9 foot ceilings. There is a false wall in the front where I would like to inset the TV and hopefully the front and center channel speakers. There is only one seating area. The room has been prewired for 7.2 and I have access to the ceiling to allow for the installation of ATMOS speakers. I am looking to have a 7.1.2 system. The plan is to purchase either the newest Marantz or Denon A/V receiver to power the speakers and facilitate ATMOS. This room will be used 95% of the time for theater and TV watching, very rarely for gaming or music

What I am looking for is advice for GE speakers. The budget for speakers is approx $4000. I would prefer that the fronts and center would be inside the false wall, and the side and rears would be in-wall. Unfortunately, I live in a fairly rural area in the mountains so I cannot just run to the A/V store and listen to them every other day trying to decide, so when I go into the city I would like to go armed with as much information as possible.

I appreciate your advice.

Jeff
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John Shepard's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 16
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
John Shepard Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by John Shepard. Reason: Updated info_outline
Since your front wall is 14' have you thought about projection? You could save money from buying a large TV and get Better speakers/ A/V gear. I have the Sony Hw-55es projector. Every bit as good any TV out there. If you can control light in the room it's the way to go for a room that size. All Goldenear speakers are Great. I have tritons twos and a supercenter XL in the front. My theater is 18'x27' and I am remarkably suprised at how much bass the triton twos produce in a room that size. I have supersat 50's for surrounds in my 7.2 system. I will likely upgrade to atmos 7.2.4 soon at which time I'll get supersat 3's for overheads. If you can't get triton twos, I would look at triton sevens and two subs for a room that size. Also look at onkyo, the have a new reciever for atmos 7.2.4. Could be a better option for the length of the room.

-John
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Novice needs help with Home Theater