file Opinions Wanted

• Duff_Da's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Duff_Da Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Hello All,

Another happy GoldenEar customer with a question.

In my surround system, the left/right speakers are Triton Sevens, and the center is a SuperSat 60C, which was the best that GoldenEar offered at the time of my purchase.

As I said, i’m Quite happy with my speakers, but I also think about upgrading within the GoldenEar line. For the front soundsage, I think about the Triton Five. But I also wonder if that might not be enough of an upgrade,and find myself thinking about the Two+ or One. However, my primary question is about the center. Given my present left/right speaker (Triton Seven), what would you suggest as the most appropriate SuperCenter model? What about with the Triton Five?

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Hi Duff_Da and welcome here!!!!!
Great idea to stay within the GEt range, that is by far your best bet.
We all have our opinions, and so here are mine.
I would get the BEST speakers you can afford, both for the center channel and for the front L and R.
I just have the SC X, as it is the largest center speaker that will fit my space. and I LOVE it. You can go bigger and I am sure those centers are better, but the X is swell.
I upgraded my T 2s to the TOnes and have never looked back!!!! You will have these speakers and be able to enjoy them for years and years, why not get the best you can?
Just my opinion.
Have fun upgrading, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME, Duff_Da

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Hi Duf_Da

Interesting moniker!

I don't know how best to answer those questions, but, first, ANY Supercenter will match up tonally well with ANY Triton tower. So you can't go wrong with a choice.

But if you're thinking into the future about upgrading the 7's to 2+s or 1's, then I'd recommend going "up the line". The XXL has the same balanced crossover technology and clarity as the 2+'s and 1's, and would sound great with the 7's you have now in the meantime. Getting the best your budget allows will give you years of listening pleasure.

Just my opinion.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME, Duff_Da

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Hi Duf_Da,

I started my Golden Ear adventure with SuperSat 3s as Fronts. I moved up to Sevens as fronts and enjoyed them in conjunction with a Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub for deeper bass.

Several years ago, I purchased a pair of Ones and reconfigured my set up so that I could still use my Sevens and my SuperSat 3s in an "all Golden Ear" audio-only configuration. There are plenty of previous posts on this site from me describing my various configuration experiments.

My advice would be for you to upgrade your Fronts to either Ones or References and use your Sevens as Surround speakers. I cannot offer advice about GE Center speakers because I use a totally different configuration for my multi-channel AV listening with all speakers other than GE (older speakers I had prior to my GE purchases). I believe you will ultimately be happier with either Ones or References, as opposed to Fives, Threes or Twos.

By the way, there are dealers out there who will work with you for extended "same as cash" financing to help you purchase the more expensive Ones or References (check out Audio Advice on the Web, for example) and the speakers will be delivered directly to your home via motor freight.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• Duff_Da's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
Duff_Da Posted 3 years 10 months ago
I’m finally coming back to this question after a couple of years. Sometimes things don’t happen as quickly as we think they will. Anyway, I’m hoping something will actually happen this time. I appreciate the responses to my original question, and I would like to follow up another related question.

My question involves my listening room situation, although it is more a family room hat is also used for listening and watching. That room is part of an open-concept arrangement, with the listening arrangement set up across the short axis of the room. The distance from from the back to front wall is about 14 feet. I currently have the Triton sevens pulled out from the front wall by about three feet, although I’ve gotten good results also with them closer to the wall. My question is regarding which of the powered Tritons would work given that arrangement. I would like to move up to,at least the Two+, but going farther might also be possible. I’m just hoping to avoid discovering I’ve purchased a speaker that is too big for my space. Given the current pandemic situation, it is difficult to do much auditioning.

Thanks.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 9 months ago
You are correct - things do change over time. Since my last response to you over a year ago, we have relocated fro Johnson City, TN to Raleigh, NC to be near our daughter and grandson. Our new-to-us Raleigh home features a 15'x 24' upstairs room with sloped ceilings which is now our Media Room. My audio-only and AV configurations are very different from what I had in Johnson City. Our couches, chairs, etc. are strung out along one of the 24' walls, while all of the audio and video gear (TVs, speakers, amps, etc.) are strung out across the room along the other 24' wall. The only exception are a pair of speakers, with one each sitting at either end of the room and centered along the 15' wall, serving as surround speakers in the AV configuration. As before, I have totally separate 2-channel audio and 5.2 AV systems.

After a lot of listening and position experimenting, I am using my Ones and Sevens in the 2-channel setup. My SuperSats serve as Fronts in my AV setup, along with my two subs and my old Altec Boleros occupying the surround positions.

Based upon my experience and the description of your room, I still think you would be very happy with either Ones or References as your main Fronts in an AV system. If music is your primary objective, I would especially recommend the Ones or References. If music is secondary to AV sound, then using your Sevens as Fronts along with your separate subs will be fine. In my world, music is paramount so I will always want a dedicated 2-channel system. I have discovered that, for music, the integrated sound produced by my Ones to be more pleasing than using a separate sub. Thus my separate subs are used in the AV system only.

If I were buying today, I would probably buy the References if I could afford the price differential over the Ones. There were no References when I bought my Ones.

Hope this info helps.

Happy listening,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back