file T1R LFE

• RichFox's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
RichFox Posted 1 year 1 month ago
T1Rs when using LFE what should I crossover the high pass at 80hz or 40hz?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 1 month ago
Hi RichFox, when connecting an LFE cable to the Triton One.R towers, I would recommend setting your receiver/processor to large or full-range front speakers. This way, the midrange and subwoofer sections of these towers will properly blend together. I would then set the crossover for the LFE output on your receiver/processor to 80hz. You can then adjust the level of the LFE output on your receiver/processor to your liking. The towers are designed to combine or sum together any bass they receive from their speaker wire connections with any bass they receive from their LFE inputs. Basically, they'll play any (and all) of the bass they receive. Happy Listening!

• nevets710's Avatar Offline
nevets710 Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago
I have been struggling with this topic for years. I recently upgraded to some T-REF's for my fronts and moved my T-ones to the rear ( replacing my triton fives.) Now once again I am contemplating using the LFE inputs since I could have sub/LFE from all four corners for movies or maybe add additional subwoofers signal thru the T-ones to the rear during stereo playback for more even bass. the only problem I run into is my Anthem AVM60 preamp does not have an option for large or small speakers, it simply asks you to select the crossover for each speaker. If I run the fronts full range then there is no subwoofer output from my preamp in stereo mode ( no signal to either my dedicated subwoofer or any of the LFE on the Tritons ). I have been trying different crossover settings to achieve a good sound , but need to go up to at least 70hz for decent bass output. I feel like I am going against the recommendations of GE by not letting the Triton built in crossover handle the signal properly. How am I affecting the front T-REF'S perfomance by sending it a signal that is already crossed over at 70-80hz as well as the additional info into the LFE ?

Moderator Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago
Hi nevets710, First, the amplifier built-into the Triton One.R tower is designed to combine or sum together any bass it receives from the speaker wire connections with any bass it receives from the LFE input. Basically, the amplifier built-into the Triton One.R is designed to play any - and all bass that's sent to the tower. Specifically, the bass signal the tower receives through the speaker wire connection passes through the tower’s built-in crossover network – which is set to 130hz, and the bass signal the tower receives through the LFE input bypasses the tower’s internal crossover network. We’re relying on the main receiver/processor to perform the crossover function for the bass sent through the LFE connection.

When using the Triton One.R's LFE input, in a real sense, you're sending the towers two bass signals. You're sending the towers a bass signal from the regular left and right speaker wire connections as well as bass from the LFE cable.

With this in mind, I would normally recommend setting your processor to full band or full range for its front speaker output, I would then set the processor's LFE crossover to 80hz. This way, the towers would receive the "regular" bass through the front left and right speaker wire connections, and the towers would add or sum together any bass they receive from the LFE connection (80hz and below).

Since your AVM 60 does not allow you to set your front speakers to full band or full range and output an LFE signal at the same time, I would recommend setting the front speaker crossover frequency in your AVM 60 to the lowest frequency possible (presumably 40hz). I would then set the crossover for the LFE output to 80hz or so. Your processor will redirect the "regular" left and right bass frequencies below 40hz to the LFE output....which your towers will still receive. (This configuration should work well.) Happy Listening!

• nevets710's Avatar Offline
nevets710 Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago
thoughts ?

ever since I connected the LFE to both my front and rear speakers ( T-ref and triton one's ) I am getting full range sound from my rear triton one's. I have tried changing crossover settings to almost every option for front and rear including bypass and off. I have tested using "test tones" and each speaker plays independently . I was hoping to add the rear LFE for movies and rear Sub thru the Triton one's for stereo music but the rear are always playing full range albeit at a reduced volume than the fronts. this stops if I disconnect the LFE input. My LFE is also connected to a dedicated subwoofer which is only playing the proper subwoofer or LFE signal .

I have reached out to Anthem to make sure it is not a preamp issue but I am also asking hear on GE simply because these speakers with a separate LFE input add another layer to the issue. I have these T-ref's for home trial for two more weeks and if I cannot resolve this problem I may have to return them for something standard. any help or insight is much appreciated .

Moderator Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago
Hi nevets710, If I understand the problem or situation correctly, this would be an odd one. The towers are designed to play any (and all bass) that are sent to them. Specifically, they'll sum together or combine any bass they receive from their speaker wire connections with any bass they receive from their LFE inputs. If the towers are playing full range, that would imply they're being sent a full range signal (from either their speaker wire connections or their LFE inputs). In a real sense, they're only playing the bass signals they receive. It would appear the towers are (somehow) receiving a full range signal from your processor - and playing it.

Ultimately, all the towers in your system (the Triton References and Triton One.Rs) are designed to play a full range signal - and their individual volume controls would allow you to control how much bass you'll hear from each tower.

If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to contact GoldenEar's customer service department at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 1-949-800-1805 (M-F 9-5:30 Eastern Time).

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back