file Hissing sound from subwoofer in Triton 2

• Sbhat3's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Sbhat3 Posted 11 years 1 month ago
It is less than 48 hrs since I got a pair of Triton 2s and Supersat 60c. I hear a low volume constant hissing noise emanating from only one of the triton 2 and I have localized it to the mid portion of the tower, where the Subwoofer should be located. This noise can be heard as long as the speaker is being powered, irrespective of the receiver being on or off and obvoiously irrespective of the volume on the receiver.

When everything else is turned off and only the speaker power is on, this hissing can be heard even at about 3-4 ft distance. The other triton 2 is wellbehaved and silent.

I am using a Marantz SR 7005 as my receiver

Any advice. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 11 years 1 month ago
Bummer, sorry to hear that ... only 48 hours old? If you are sure its the speaker (did you try a different A/C power outlet, if both speakers are not plugged in the same place?), then just take the noisy one back to your dealer and ask for a replacement. Should be no problem (dealer may have to order you a replacement speaker though, might want to call ahead).

Must have a component in the amp section's electronics that has failed... easy sub-assembly swap for the dealer if you'd rather.

Sbhat3 Posted 11 years 1 month ago
I tried a different power outlet, but hissing persists.

Also while changing the power outlet, I noticed that even 3 hours after the receiver had been turned off and the speaker had not been in use, the green lights behind the hissing triton had not automatically turned off, while the nonhissing normal triton had turned off and had no lights on.

Moderator Posted 11 years 1 month ago
Nice troubleshooting job.

Yes, the auto off is probably not engaging because it sees the noise as input. Repair or exchange with your selling dealer. Sorry for the trouble.

Sbhat3 Posted 11 years 3 weeks ago
I called my selling dealer Audio Systems in Austin, TX about the problem. They asked me to bring the "faulty" speaker to the dealership, to either get it swapped or fixed...the choice was mine.

I decided to swap the speaker and did that last Friday. Since there was minimal similar hissing also coming from the 2nd Triton 2 (not as loud as the "bad" one but could hear a hiss with nothing playing and your ear on the speaker cloth) and since the dealership is 65 miles from my house, I decided to take that one as well to the dealership and let them decidde if it too needed to be swapped.

Without any hesitation, they swapped both speakers for a brand new pair and this was all done in less than 5 minutes.

I enjoyed the new speakers over the weekend and am happy to report that even out of the box, the new speakers sound AWESOME....so much better than the ones I had listened to for a week and with no "hissing". They do now sound like the speakers that all the reveiwers must had heard before writing those rave reviews.....the reviews that made me buy the GE triton 2 in the first place.

I really appreciate the customer care and after sale service provided by AUDIO SYSTEMS in Austin and highly recommend it to anyone living in that vicinity. The same goes to Golden Ear Tech and their tech/customer support team. I believe that the dealership could do what it did mainly because of the backing from and confidence in the Golden Ear Brand.

I am sure that my next post willnot be about any other problem but about how awesome my systems sounds and about any new GE product that I bought or intend to buy.

Making a great product is just a part of being a GREAT BRAND...the after sale customer service ( ..and any mechanical could have faults) is probably what makes it GREAT. From my experience, Golden Ear is one such brand.

Thank you.

Moderator Posted 11 years 3 weeks ago
That's great, thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your system!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Hissing sound from subwoofer in Triton 2