file which amp as control over bass????

• wawaron's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
wawaron Posted 10 years 11 months ago
Hi, general question. My Triton Twos have a powered subwoofer so does the amp in my surround receiver have any impact on the powered sub? Does the Damping factor from my surround receiver really come into play? Same question for an outboard powered sub. Does the Stereo receiver have any effect on the subs output???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 11 months ago
Hello Wawaron,
Good question and one I was just asking this last weekend.
I have no real knowledge of how all this works, electronically. And am therefore not really qualified to answer your question. Hopefully the Moderator Dude or someone else will kick in here with some great answer.
BUT, I saw your question is hanging out to dry, so I will try and answer.
I was told that the signal you send from your receiver or amp has everything and nothing to do with the sound of the bass coming from the built-in subs in the Tritons and or a stand alone sub.
Everything meaning, the sound, the sonic signal being sent will be amplified by the built in amp in the sub. If that signal is a great one, then great sound will be amplified. If tubby, flabby or rolled off bass signals are sent from the amp/receiver, then that is what you will hear from the subs. If tight, low, or deep wonderful signals are sent, then the amps in the sub will do their best to play that.
Nothing meaning, the damping factor and/or other control people talk about the amplifier having over the bass coming from a woofer, will be handled by the built in amp. That will be as good or bad as the built in amps can do.
I asked if this is new technology and was told it is not new at all, that subs have been taking speaker level signals directly from the amp/receiver for years and then amplifying and playing them in this manner.
All of which I found VERY interesting. And hopeful. Because I HOPE the signal I send to the Triton's subs will be a good quality one.
I hope this helps, or that someone sets us both straight.
All the best, happy listening.
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 10 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

wawaron wrote: Hi, general question. My Triton Twos have a powered subwoofer so does the amp in my surround receiver have any impact on the powered sub? Does the Damping factor from my surround receiver really come into play? Same question for an outboard powered sub. Does the Stereo receiver have any effect on the subs output???

The amp does not have any impact on the Triton's powered sub or an outboard powered sub. Damping factor impacts more than just bass-performance but you're thinking along the correct path. That said, anything the signal passes through has an effect, but the amp's specs do not really come into play with regards to bass in a system with Triton Twos, or a powered subwoofer and bass management directing bass frequencies accordingly.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series which amp as control over bass????