file Upgrade the 4 to a 5?

• TanLeng's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
TanLeng Posted 10 years 11 months ago
Currently running Triton Two's, SS50C, AON 3 for rear and a FF4 subwoofer.

My local supplier in Malaysia is bringing over a 60C and a FF5 tomorrow. I've already ok'd the upgrade on the centre, but I'm mulling over the sub. Can someone give me a breakdown on the benefits of upgrading, before I get to do the listening test? As it is Audyssey has the sub tuned to a fairly low level, and if I turn it up some, things can get pretty heavy with windows vibrating etc :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 11 months ago
TanLeng,
It sounds like you have a wonderful system already. Better than most people. And you are upgrading it to be REALLY top of the line.
I doubt that anyone but you can answer your question, at least without more information. Like: how big is your listening room? what kinds of music do you listen to? how loud do you listen? How much bass do you like? Movies or music? Etc.
IF I was going to guess, I would say that with the 2s AND a FF4 sub, you probably already have great bass.
But then again, if you can upgrade, why not? I would always go for the best of everything IF I COULD!!!!
After you listen, and especially if you decide to go for it, please give a report, tell us how it all sounds!!!
Thanks and have fun listening, wish I could hear a system like that!!!
Enjoy the music,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TanLeng

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 10 years 11 months ago
The ForceField 5 plays lower than the 4 by a few Hz, but significantly louder at the lowest frequencies. This additional output can make a considerable difference in larger spaces at high volumes. The additional extension, however, will be heard and appreciated (for movies) at any listening level in MOST rooms.

• TanLeng's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
TanLeng Posted 10 years 11 months ago
I took the plunge and upgraded both. Haven't spent a lot of time with the new speaker and sub yet. But just off the bat, I have to say I noticed a greater depth and clarity with the center, especially from dialogue....this is even more noticeable with hushed/softer speech, which the old 50c would have problems driving intelligibly , at least to my ear ;P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 11 months ago
So Mr. TanLeng,
Are you shaking down the walls with your new sub? How is your upgraded system doing?
How about music and movies now? Has it all integrated nicely?
Please give us a report when you have time, eager to hear how you are getting along?
Terima Kasih,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• tylerhawes's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 5
tylerhawes Posted 10 years 8 months ago
I upgraded from the Forcefield 4 to Forcefield 5 about a week ago. I really wasn't lacking anything in the FF4, but I just wanted to have the biggest sub because, well, bigger is better :)

My observation is I now have to turn the gain down even more ridiculously low than I did with the 4 (not a bad thing to be clear - I was never using much of its power). Other than that, the main difference is I'm noticing more of the low-intensity sustained bass notes and rumble in content, stuff that barely is there but just gives you a constant undercurrent in movies. I say it's there to give an ominous vibe. Anyway, the FF5 seems to have more range in the very low where you can really feel that super low bass vibrating you more, whereas the FF4 was a bit understated there by comparison.

For a real bass hound, I'd say it's definitely worth it. But if you just want good, clean bass, it's not a huge difference. My room is about 3,000 cu. ft. to give you an idea.
--
Tyler
My setup: 11.2 channels w/ 3 x Aon 3 mains, 8 x Aon 2 high/wide/surrounds, 2 x Forcefield 5 subs. Marantz AV8801 processor. 3 x Parasound A 51 amps. Oppo BPD-103D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support ForceField Subs Upgrade the 4 to a 5?