file My Triton Two+

• ForceX's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ForceX Posted 7 years 5 months ago
First I would like to say hello to everyone on the forums. Hello :)

On Thursday Dec 15 a new pair of Triton Two+ speakers were delivered from my local retailer Bjorn's to my apartment. These packing boxes are big and completely encompass the speaker in Styrofoam; almost like a coffin. I was half expecting Dracula to pop out when I took the cover off. By the time I had the speakers out of the box my entire apartment was full of discarded packing materials. After four trips to the dumpster I finally had space to setup the speakers.

Let me just say the speakers are amazing. If your thinking of buying them just do it. But to understand why I like these speakers you need to understand where I'm comming from.

The room the speakers are in is about 20' wide with about 13' for the living room and the rest going into the kitchen. The room depth is about 14'. My AVR is a Yamaha Aventage rx-a2060.

In the past I was using a pair of Klipsch RP-280F. Which I setup using a UMIK-1 & REQW. These speakers were a pain to calibrate. They have a massive null around 70hz and plenty of peaks and valleys throughout the mid section. In the end after about a month I had a -0db at 80hz with a -4db roll off to 16khz. I also have a pair of Klipsch R112SW subs to handle 80hz and below. The subs in contrast produce a nice bass with a flat response down to around 22hz and roll off from there.

A very strange result with the RP-280F with the subs is with the left & right speaker in phase with each other only the left speaker would be in phase with the sub. The right speaker would be out of phase with the sub. This is a result that could be measured with the mic by seeing a loss in the lower freq range. Flipping the phase on the sub would fix the right speaker but have the inverse on the left. And swapping the phase on the right speaker puts it out of phase with the left. Arrg!!

What I think the issue was is one of the two mid/full drivers was out of phase within its own speaker matrix but I am not sure. Being happyish with the result I left it at that.

About a month later of listening to music, tv & movies I would noticed the lowes with a xover of 80hz would sound a bit muddy & on certain sounds distortion coming from mid / tweeter area at low volumes or if it's a singer holding a note it would show up on the down slope roll off of the note like a harshness on the edge of the singers voice. It's hard to explain. I would listen to the same source material in the car or with headphones and would have to listen very hard to hear what I think could be causing the harshness but with the Klipsch horn it just seems to latch onto and bring to light any upper freq errors in a very unforgiving way.

Now the Triton Two+.

Step 1 : Take out of the box
Step 2 : Discard Trash
Step 3 : Hookup power & audio cables
Step 4 : Set speaker to Large/Full
Step 5: Enjoy

The Triton Two+ right out of the box produced a near perfect flat response from 20hz-16khz. No EQ adjustments needed, just set the bass dial to 12 o'clock or your desired position. The tweeter sounds clean and open as opposed to the Klipsch which were focused and at times harsh. The bass is smooth and transitions perfectly into the mids which are nicely detailed.

That's it, I know it seemed more like a Klipsch review, but I wanted to show the difference in my experience between the two speakers. Goldenear is my first entry to the world of true high end audio and I very happy. Next, center channel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slimDub14's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3
slimDub14 Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I know I have the 2+ in my future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Welcome to the forum, ForceX!!!

You have described, so perfectly, what many of us have experienced. It's like going from "artificial" SQ to natural SQ.

Enjoy! Keep us posted! And happy hunting looking for a GEt center channel. Not a bad option in the whole line-up.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Welcome and HELLO ForceX.
Great report!
Will look forward to more from you when you have the speakers broken in. Sounds like you know your audio.
Thanks for your input, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Ponch0069's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 13
Ponch0069 Posted 7 years 3 months ago
For future reference you should always keep the original packaging. I just traded up my 5's to the 2+. The dealership would not of let me trade up if I didn't have the original packaging.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Ponch0069 makes a legitimate statement..."Always keep the original packaging." What you're happy with today may not be what you're happy with tomorrow.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back