heart Triton One Review Part 1- Something New

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Alright, so I followed Art's advice and tried the RCA connection between my Oppo 103D and my Integra 70.2. In some modes the bass was transmitted via the subwoofer cable to the LFE input on my T1s and in those modes, specifically "direct", the bass was a beast. Too much, in fact. What this did point out is what I've suspected all along: my A/V receiver is the weak link in my system.

By using the Oppo's DAC and my receiver as an amp, I was rewarded with even better sound in stereo mode for music. The depth of the sound stage was much deeper and richer. Various sounds were much easier to localize and the music sounded more like a live performance. I used a CD/Tape input on my receiver next to the phono input. These two inputs clearly had more robust RCA jacks than any of the other inputs on the rear of the receiver. Thanks, Art!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Brother T Cobe,
First of all, Congratulations on being quoted by GEt on their FaceBook!!!!
You are now a PUBLISHED POET dude!!!!!
I have not followed exactly all the ins and outs of how you and Art are connecting with LFE, mostly because (although I am VERY interested in this) I don't have the same gear and when I change to the XMC-1, it will be different again. Just a note to be careful, which I am sure you know, don't double up on the bass if you can help it.
As to your comment about your receiver being the weak link in your system, yes, it probably is. But that is not a knock on your receiver. It is just in a REALLY atmospheric leveled system now with the Triton Ones!!!!!
I would love to see what you think if you had a great pre-processor and separate amps.
But you can enjoy what you have and save up for that. Or search for hidden treasure. Play the Lottery. Just kidding.
Enjoy what you have dude, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Regarding DACs - some "Conventional Wisdom" suggests that most, if not all, DACs are created equal. That thought may or may not be true. In my setup, I am using the DACs in my CD or CD/DVD players to convert the digital to analog, then sending the analog down the RCA cables to the AV Receivers. In my case, I would predict that the DACs in my AV Receivers are probably equal to the DACs in my players. But, I will also offer the thought that there may be "signal integrity" value in converting digital to analog at the source and sending analog down the cables, rather than sending digital signals to the AV Receiver.

In any event, T. Cobe, I am pleased to hear about your experience with sending "analog bass" for music reproduction to your Triton 1s. In my setup, I have a pleasing amount of bass even when playing music at low audio levels. Once again, the T1s are showing me features I have not previously experienced with speakers.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Another comment regarding T. Cobe's concern about his Integra AV Receiver. Unless I am mistaken, Integra is an Onkyo brand and is a high-end Onkyo. My main AV Receiver is an Onkyo NR 3009 and I am pleased with it's performance. If it were me, before I replaced the Integra, I would explore all of the setup options available. Wayne's comment about not having "Double Bass" is on target. "Double Bass" or "Main plus LFE" is a setup option in most AV Receivers by which bass signals are sent from the Fronts and/or Surrounds to the LFE along with the regular LFE signals - either analog or digital. I recommend this option be set to OFF, as does Golden Ear.

I believe what I am about to say is correct for most, if not all, AV Receivers. When the AV Receiver receives an audio signal from a digital source and in a digital format (HDMI, Optical, or Digital Coax), the Receiver will decode that signal, process it via an internal DAC and provide the analog audio to speakers connected to that Receiver. However, that same decoded analog signal may or may not be present at any analog outputs on that Receiver. So, in order to have a analog signal path between devices, it may be necessary to provide that path via analog cables. This situation is the case with my equipment, which is why I decode my CD audio in my players and send the analog signals to the three AV Receivers in my setup. My Double Bass is set to OFF in all three Receivers.

Hope this information helps.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Art,

You are correct, Integra is essentially an Onkyo. It is their boutique/custom installer line but there is not much difference from what I've been able to find. The sound of the receiver is good, just not great (not on par with the T1). I think I have it pretty dialed in now with your RCA suggestion, in stereo mode, minus the LFE/subwoofer cable input, at the 12 o'clock position on the gain knob, bi-amped, and in the 4 ohm setting. All of these add up to some pretty amazing sound when played through the T1.

When auditioning the T1s, I listened to them on a Hegel H-160 with a Marantz CD player and the results were out of this world. I'll probably start with some external amps with my Integra while the format wars settle down a bit. I may look for a Marantz 8802 that has been refurbished and carries a warranty in about 8 to 12 months. Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

T Cobe wrote: Art,

You are correct, Integra is essentially an Onkyo. It is their boutique/custom installer line but there is not much difference from what I've been able to find. The sound of the receiver is good, just not great (not on par with the T1). I think I have it pretty dialed in now with your RCA suggestion, in stereo mode, minus the LFE/subwoofer cable input, at the 12 o'clock position on the gain knob, bi-amped, and in the 4 ohm setting. All of these add up to some pretty amazing sound when played through the T1.

When auditioning the T1s, I listened to them on a Hegel H-160 with a Marantz CD player and the results were out of this world. I'll probably start with some external amps with my Integra while the format wars settle down a bit. I may look for a Marantz 8802 that has been refurbished and carries a warranty in about 8 to 12 months. Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions!

Cheers,

T Cobe

When you auditioned the T1s, how much difference in sound do you believe that the Marantz CD player contributed and why? Also, what sonic benefits do you attribute to the Hegel H-160? And, finally, what about what you hear through your Integra versus your bi-amped approach?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review Triton Series Triton One Review Part 1- Something New